Water report, can't find Carbonate or Bicarbonate

So I decided to start messing around with water profiles in anticipation of eventually going all grain sooner than later. Using the most recent municipal water I could find for Cleveland found here :

(page 27 of the PDF) I can’t seem to find Carbonate or BiCarbonate levels anywhere in the report. Is there anyway I can deduce these from the other information given? I know very little about water profiles and chemistry in general so I’m quite clueless here :slight_smile:

EDIT…Or Sulfate for that matter

Your best bet is to pay the 25 bucks and send YOur water to ward labs, then you know what you are getting out of your tap.
Water reports rarely have all the brewing info, you can email the city and list what you need. Some cities get it to you some are a pain in the ass.

Do they give you total alkalinity? Bru’n water will estimate carbonate/bicarbonate level if you can get total alkalinity.

I would try calling them if you have other stuff you are missing, but as pointed out, some cities are good, some are not. I was able to actually get through to the lab.

I have not fooled with altering any water profiles.

What exactly does a “Ward Labs” water report look like, vs. the info you might glean from your local water authority?

Was thinking, if I had a copy of a Ward Labs report, I might go and visit the Chemist / Water Guru at the County Water Authority, and see if the might be able to give out the other needed info, ( if you told them why you wanted it).

They are like two miles up the road from me, the water treatment / purification plant that is…

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]I have not fooled with altering any water profiles.

What exactly does a “Ward Labs” water report look like, vs. the info you might glean from your local water authority?

Was thinking, if I had a copy of a Ward Labs report, I might go and visit the Chemist / Water Guru at the County Water Authority, and see if the might be able to give out the other needed info, ( if you told them why you wanted it).

They are like two miles up the road from me, the water treatment / purification plant that is…[/quote]

downlaod bruns water all the info you need will be on there.

This is the info you get from Ward Labs…

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 164
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.27
Cations / Anions, me/L 2.8 / 2.7
ppm
Sodium, Na 11
Potassium, K 2
Calcium, Ca 34
Magnesium, Mg 7
Total Hardness, CaCO3 114
Nitrate, NO3-N < 0.1 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 19
Chloride, Cl 3
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 90
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 74

[quote=“mattnaik”]So I decided to start messing around with water profiles in anticipation of eventually going all grain sooner than later. Using the most recent municipal water I could find for Cleveland found here :

(page 27 of the PDF) I can’t seem to find Carbonate or BiCarbonate levels anywhere in the report. Is there anyway I can deduce these from the other information given? I know very little about water profiles and chemistry in general so I’m quite clueless here :slight_smile:

EDIT…Or Sulfate for that matter[/quote]

As noted above, you can calculate the bicarbonate and carbonate concentrations from the reported alkalinity value. I see that the report does provide that. It also reports most of the ions, excepting sulfate. Fortunately, as with all Great Lakes water, the sulfate is fairly low. It is a good brewing water.

Thank ya’, Denny!

de nada!