Water ph adjustment

Hi all,

I’m sure this has beer brought up a thousand times, but… I just started AG brewing and my 2 batches turned out with VERY low OG. I use water from my well, which is perfect for brewing, except for the ph, 6.98. How can I lower it? I’ve heard good and bad about 5.2 and think at this level it will not work.

Ideas please…

Captn’

[quote=“Captn 1775”]Hi all,

I’m sure this has beer brought up a thousand times, but… I just started AG brewing and my 2 batches turned out with VERY low OG. I use water from my well, which is perfect for brewing, except for the ph, 6.98. How can I lower it? I’ve heard good and bad about 5.2 and think at this level it will not work.

Ideas please…

Captn’[/quote]

It’s the pH of the mash, not the water, that’s important. As an all grain brewer you need to find out what is in your water. Until you know what the brewing ion composition of the water is you cannot make the correct decisions on additions and/or treatment.

Check out Ward Labs for a water report. They can tell you exactly what is in your well water.

Then, check out Bru’n water. You can input your water composition and this program will help you not only hit your pH but help with water profiles.

PS: Martin, I beat you to it! :lol:

Loopie, thanks for the Sage advice.