Water for IPA

Interesting conversation, so ifn yeast can change pH, should we also be checking and recording yeast starter pH? Sneezles61

My most recent IPA was DHd in a keg room temp on 12/27 purged headspace with CO2, 1/4 moved to the cooler hop sack still in the keg purged again, put it on gas today to serving pressure. pH reading prior to gas was 4.5, Kettle pH was 5.3. That’s pretty consistent with the 8-9 point pH drop I’ve seen using 1272 regularly for this grain bill.

Pulled a pint and it’s cloudy with hop matter from the move, decent body, great aroma, orange/peach and some pineapple notes, pineapple/grapefrui & a little pine on the back of the tongue dry enough you want another slug. Aroma is much better than last couple of IPAs that were DHd cold on gas.

Same grist I always use for 10 gals IPA 70% 2 row, 22% vienna, 8% c40 for 6.4abv, FWH 1oz each-cascade and centennial, bittered to 28ibu with cluster, 1.5oz centennial ro 20mins, .75oz each centennial and cascade fort 5mins then .5oz cascade and 1oz centennial whirlpooled for 20 mins, DHd with 4oz centennial, total 68ibu.

Pale ale profile from Brunwater but sulfates only to 200.

Yeah, a bit lower will make the beer a bit crisper, but 5.4 is in no way bad.