Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

"Water" flavor

Why do the two batches I’ve made have a “watery” flavor?

One was an IRA, and two was a coffee stout. Both were extract kits. I followed the instructions that came with the kits to a t. I use 2 micron filtered city water. Does that matter?

I don’t think the filter would have any effect on the outcome of your beers. Some more information would be good.
How long were your beers in the primary? What was the final gravity in the primary? What temperature and for how long have the bottles been conditioning?

How confident are you that the amounts of water used were as intended? Possibly double check the volume by employing another measure.

One of the best ways to check if your process is working well for an extract beer is to use a long-handled spoon and a hydrometer just before pitching the yeast. You use the spoon to mix the wort really well, then use the hydrometer to check that the original gravity (OG) matches what the kit says it should be. If the OG is low, it will be watery and it is possible you added too much water.

I measure all my water with a 4 cup measuring cup. Super slow but accurate.

The OG of the stout was 1.0645. Recipe says OG should be 1.064. 13 days later… 1.0165… tasted watery. Today is day 16 of primary fermentation. I will be taking another sample for gravity testing sometime this week. Probably day 20… (my fermentation spot stays a pretty good constant of 67.5)(lucky spot in my house)

I did not have tools at the time to take reading off first batch. But it was in primary for three weeks, and I tasted after 1 and 2 weeks of bottling with seemingly no difference. This one has been in the bottle for about 7 weeks now. 2 weeks at about 68F, then the rest of time in fridge. Almost gone though, because i didn’t like it due to a “sour” aftertaste and have given most of it away to ppl that say it’s awesome. Whatever, to each their own.

Take the bottles you have left out of the frig and give them three weeks in the warmest part of your house. After a few days of warming up gently tip the bottles to rouse the yeast.
Four to six weeks of bottle conditioning at 70° to 75° for higher gravity beers is best. The watery mouth feel may go away.

I hadn’t noticed that one of the beers was a stout. A lot of people are used to drinking stouts poured from a nitrogen tap - or a can with a widget. That gives it a really rich, creamy texture. It may be that is part of the problem; you can’t get the same effect by simply bottling a stout with priming sugar.

In general, the taste will seem “off” if the carbonation is not right. 10 days to 2 weeks for bottle conditioning is really the minimum, and it may be that by putting it in the fridge your first beer didn’t get enough time to develop, like flars suggested.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com