Water Filter Suggestions

Looking for a recommendations for an under sink water filter. My previous residence (my parents house) has the same municipal source for drinking water and ran water through a filter to get rid of any chlorine that might be there and always worked fine (beer tastes good), although I have never checked ph or had water tested. I’m in South FL pretty close to the everglades. City of Sunrise water.

Now I need to stop bothering my parents and start bothering my wife and brew at home. So just looking for a typical charcoal filter system from what I’ve read on here?

Any specific systems that you have worked well for you? I’d like to get it before the 10th. My next anticipated brew day!

Thanks!

I went with a RO unit… but a water test is the first place to start. You should be able to get a water report from the city and that would be a good place to start.

John

i’ll let you know. Brewing a Kolsch tomorrow with filtered water. I just got a filter I could hook up to the garden hoses (white marine hoses for drinking water) and the taste test the other day sold me. The charcoal should remove the chlorine in my water and that light smell. I did a side by side and my filtered water tastes like nice bottled water. We’ll see how it turns out. My total cost was about $40 with the fittings and hoses.

[quote=“johnplctech”]I went with a RO unit… but a water test is the first place to start. You should be able to get a water report from the city and that would be a good place to start.

John[/quote]
I too have RO and as John I too use Bru’n Water. With RO it is very easy to build ANY water profile you would want.

If your water is basically good for brewing depends on actual composition.
Mineral composition becomes important if you are all grain brewing. Thus the reason some either find it easier as practice alone or out of necessity due to very hard water or high levels of iron etc… have to build from RO.

But again if your water is averagely soft and you only need to treat for chlorine/ chloramine
Here’s a cheaper way than running a filter at all.
$3.50 and 100 tabs can treat 2000 gallons.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/campden-tablets.html

Many ways to find it locally outside of LHBS stores too.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

A water filter is something I’m looking to get regardless. I’ve been in my place over a year now and buying bottled drinking water is an unnecessary expense and its downright wasteful to go through all that plastic.

So the filter isn’t totally a brewing purchase. But its nice for brewing! As far as whether my water is optimal for brewing, not sure, but its definitely not bad. Even out of the tap its tasty, no chlorine flavor or aroma but I’m guessing that doesn’t mean its not there.

I will probably get into tweaking water eventually, especially bc I’ve been reading about water and the idea of tweaking my water is getting more manageable now that I’m understanding it better.

But for now my goal is make damn sure there is no chlorine/chlorimine (or whatever it is) in there to cause off flavors. After that tackle mash ph. Later move into optimum water profiles. (Maybe haha)

Thanks!