Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Water amount for boil for 5 gallon extract kit

I’ve brewed about 25 extract kits. I have always followed the directions exactly and filled pot with 2.5 gallons water for the boil. Because of evaporation sometimes I have needed to add more water to carboy for top off. This usually reduces my OG. (I usually brew lower alcohol beers and this has sometimes made the beer taste watered down)

I don’t want to do a full boil (and have read some of those posts), but am thinking of starting with 3 gallons (or maybe even 3.25 gallons) for the boil.

BTW, the specific kit I’m brewing this weekend is the Breakwater Apricot Blonde Ale.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

That certainly will work. But why not the full boil? You get less wort maillard reaction and thus less darkening of the wort. This might be a plus on a blonde ale.

Many things affect boil off. The most important one is boil rate. You only need to maintain enough heat to keep a boil. It doesn’t need to be jumping out of the pot.

Thanks much for your response.

My reason is that I don’t want to mess with and have to do calculations for changing the hops. I buy the kit and want to just follow the recipe. (I have enough other things in my life I’m juggling so the simplicity of this works for me) But if there is an easy/simple way to do the full boil I would certainly consider it.

Thanks again!

I’ve recently started to do full-volume boils and I’ve done some research into hop utilization. With FVB’s, utilization will be increased between 10-20%, depending on the gravity of the beer you’re brewing (10% for high gravities and 20% for low gravities).

Rather than use software to figure out the exact percentage, I just reduce my bittering hops by 10% for high gravities, 15% for mid-gravities and 20% for low gravity beers. :cheers:

I’ve recently started to do full-volume boils and I’ve done some research into hop utilization. With FVB’s, utilization will be increased between 10-20%, depending on the gravity of the beer you’re brewing (10% for high gravities and 20% for low gravities).

Rather than use software to figure out the exact percentage, I just reduce my bittering hops by 10% for high gravities, 15% for mid-gravities and 20% for low gravity beers. :cheers: [/quote]

I’ve also gone to full volume boils, and so far it’s been well worth it. I’m seeing almost the same exact thing with hop utilization. I’ve been reducing the entire hop schedule by these amounts in my recipes and have been having pretty good results. I gotta say though, I’m not exactly what one would call a hophead, so I tend to go a little light on the hops to begin with.

[quote=“My1stPony”]I’ve brewed about 25 extract kits. I have always followed the directions exactly and filled pot with 2.5 gallons water for the boil. Because of evaporation sometimes I have needed to add more water to carboy for top off. This usually reduces my OG. (I usually brew lower alcohol beers and this has sometimes made the beer taste watered down)

I don’t want to do a full boil (and have read some of those posts), but am thinking of starting with 3 gallons (or maybe even 3.25 gallons) for the boil.

BTW, the specific kit I’m brewing this weekend is the Breakwater Apricot Blonde Ale.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks![/quote]

You shouldnt have a lower OG, you evaporated more off but then you just have a higher OG wort before topping off…

Just boils as much as you can all the time, most direction are very poorly written

Hi. Sorry to butt in. I have been thinking about doing full boils but had the same questions with the hops. I see the percentages you guys are reducing them by. This may be a dumb question, but is that percentage taken off the boil times or the amount of hops being used. Thanks.

That’s the percentage taken off of the bittering hops addition (the very first one done and lasting for 60 min.).

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com