Warm homebrew tasted great and chilled it doesn't

Tasting my homebrew to check carbonation and it tasted great so I decided to chill them. Everyone I’ve had since tastes dull and maybe oxidized. I’m so confused. It’s definitely not too cold and carbonation is good. I’ve had some in the fridge for at least a week and they taste the same.

Style?

Kolsch that I used Wyeast 2565 fermented at 60°.

How long did you warm bottle condition? Does your beer seem to have a darker color after refrigerating?

A little more than 2 weeks it tasted great warm all the expected flavors of a Kolsch. Didn’t notice it get any darker. The carbonation was perfect so I put them all in the fridge.

I would now give it some time to cold mature…. Kolsch is a lager at ale temps and may need some more time to mature. Sneezles61

I would go with sneezles on this. Chilling always reduces the flavor intensity of beers. If it tasted right when warm, then it may well just need a little time to mature yet.

jdw

I guess I am confused with this. If it tastes great warm, then why would you chill it? Drink it the way it tastes best. If my car runs great on regular fuel and not so well on premium, I don’t go trying to force it to run on premium.

1 Like

Same reason I pee standing up.

1 Like

It’s true that chilling masks flavors. Big time.
Once I got accustomed to drinking my beers at 50/55°F I never turned back.
It has always amused me that with all the trouble craft brewers (and home brewers, for that matter) go through to make flavorful beer, people then go and serve it at near freezing temperatures. BMC AALs do actually benefit from deep chilling since they don’t have much flavor to begin with, but well made ales (especially, for example, a well made IPA with a nice hop profile) taste better with more restrained chilling. Even a lot so called “craft beer” bars serve their beers nearly frozen, and in frozen mugs to further dull the taste. It’s truly bizarre.

Of course, it all filters down to differences in folks’ individual tastes, as well as the “style” of beer I suppose. Also, there seems to be a lot more “hack” beer on the shelves and taps these days than ever before, so I guess it’s all pretty subjective in the end :open_mouth:

p.s. old_dawg’s observation below, which I just read, is spot on.

Until it’s had time to lager, try letting it warm up a bit before drinking. If you want to get a little geeky, test the temp and find the temp that balances the flavor and temp. Very few beers taste best at “We Serve The Coldest Beer In Town!” temps.

edit: Damn it, Prof! Wait your turn!

2 Likes