"War Stories":13-Year-Locusts messing up brewing schedule

We’ve got a hatch of 13- year locusts here that’s messing with my brewing schedule. I brew outside, and I’m afraid I could end up with quite a few in my brew pot -especially with stirring during the boiling phase. Not sure what that would do for the flavor not to mention the extra protein.

I’m going to postpone brewing for another week or two although that means I may run out of my home-brewed supply before the next batch is brewed, fermented and aged.

Does anyone else have some good stories about unusual or unexpected challenges?

No necessarily a challenge but I had a yellow jacket end his life into my German Pils while it was boiling. I didn’t notice till it was done boiling and he was floating on the top. This beer became known as Yellow Jacket Pils.

The yellow jackets can be a problem, especially late summer or fall. I remember shooing a number away while skinning and filleting some large catfish a few years ago.

I had a pair of Jehovah’s Witness try to save me while brewing in my driveway (no garage at that house). I was in the middle of a stuck mash from my first pumpkin beer. I think they thought I was making jelly or ketchup, but of course, I told them that it was beer and that I was Catholic. Never saw them again. Good times. :cheers:

Locusts are a new one, but winged insects are all fair game brewing outside. I sense a biblical name for this beer…

For three years I lived in a small city that was about 90% Catholic. The neat thing there was no-one ever came around trying to convert you.

[quote=“lazy ant brewing”]We’ve got a hatch of 13- year locusts here that’s messing with my brewing schedule. I brew outside, and I’m afraid I could end up with quite a few in my brew pot -especially with stirring during the boiling phase. Not sure what that would do for the flavor not to mention the extra protein.

I’m going to postpone brewing for another week or two although that means I may run out of my home-brewed supply before the next batch is brewed, fermented and aged.

Does anyone else have some good stories about unusual or unexpected challenges?[/quote]

Just do a good protein rest and pitch plenty of yeast. You should be good. :mrgreen:

Bees sure like that sweet smell from the boiling wort. They might be some kind of wasp. I find a badminton racquet not only keeps them away but helps improve your backhand.

Might have to move up to a tennis racquet for locust.

Little known fact about locusts - adding a handful at flameout really accentuates the hops. :mrgreen:

[quote=“lazy ant brewing”]We’ve got a hatch of 13- year locusts here that’s messing with my brewing schedule. I brew outside, and I’m afraid I could end up with quite a few in my brew pot -especially with stirring during the boiling phase. Not sure what that would do for the flavor not to mention the extra protein.

Does anyone else have some good stories about unusual or unexpected challenges?[/quote]

Apparently these are known as Brood XXIII.

I would go ahead with your schedule and call the results, “Brewed XXIII”.

Eighth Plague Ale?

I might go with that.

Thanks

Gnats, AKA fruit flies, are a big problem around here in the late spring/early summer months so I’m pretty anal about keeping my brew area clean and gnat free. I think I may have had one batch ruined by them. Only way I can explain the acetobacter.

I brewed inside the garage this morning with doors and windows open to ventilate the propane burner fumes. Because it was less than 60 F and raining the locusts stayed put, and I didn’t find any in my brew pot.