Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Wanted to try a smoked beer/rauchbier

Has anyone done one? Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks.

Do you actually like to drink them, or are you just wanting to experiment? That is one style of beer that I haven’t seemed to care for.
I have tried them, but they just don’t work with my palate.

If you just want to experiment, I would find a few examples to try before making any decisions on the quantity of smoked malt.

[quote=“HummelBrew”]Do you actually like to drink them, or are you just wanting to experiment? That is one style of beer that I haven’t seemed to care for.
I have tried them, but they just don’t work with my palate.

If you just want to experiment, I would find a few examples to try before making any decisions on the quantity of smoked malt.[/quote]

Have had a few. And I do like them. And yes, I want to experiment. I am seeing some example that are smoked porters others than are using an oktoberfest lager yeast. Wanting to avoid the lager yeast, so I will see be able to ferment ales in my chest freezer at the same time.

a guy in my club brews a winter ale where he uses 2 lbs of smoked malt in a 10 gallon batch that hits the scales at 1.065 or 1.070 I believe. When I had it last I didn’t recall that much smoke flavor, but I guess with the larger quantity of base grains I wouldn’t.

last year i did a smoked alt that used 5 lbs smoked malt, very good and not over the top. if you like i can get the recipe when i get home tonight.

would love to see the recipe.

I make a 20 gallon batch of Schlenkerla Rauchbier every year. It is 100% Weyermann’s Rauchmalt from Bamburg, Germany (home of the Schlenkerla Tavern) which is famous for this beer. I make it as an ale and it tastes really good. Not too smoky either. There is a little Carafa Special II for color and some noble hops but overall a simple recipe. See below but substitute US-05 Dry Yeast for the lager yeast, any noble German hops and forget about the Noonans Double Decoction, just a sinlge mash at 153F

Here it is for 6.5 gallons from a guy named Jeff from a brew club named FOAM

BJCP Style Guidelines: 22A - Smoked Beer, Classic Rauchbier

Min OG: 1.050 Max OG: 1.064
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 30
Min Clr: 7 Max Clr: 16
*Note: Color in SRM (Lovibond)

Recipe Specifics:

Batch Size (Gal): 6.50 (29.5L)
Total Grain (Lbs): 14.35
Actual OG: 1.056 (13.8P); FG: 1.012 (3.0P)
Anticipated OG: 1.055 (13.6P)
Anticipated SRM: 16.0
Anticipated IBU: 22.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74%
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Fermentables:

14.00lbs. Weyermann Smoked (Bamberg) Malt
0.35lbs. Weyermann Carafa Special II [@ Mash-Out]

Hops:

1.28oz. Hallertau Mittelfruh (Whole) 5.00%AA [60]

Extras:

5.00gm. WYeast Nutrient [Starter]
1.00 Unit(s) Whirlfloc Tablet [5]

Yeast: White Labs #WLP838 - Southern German Lager

Water Profile: Bamburg, Germany
Profile known for: Classic Rauchbier e.g. Aecht Schlenkarla

Calcium (Ca): 106.0 ppm
Magnesium (Mg): 50.0 ppm
Sodium (Na): 28.0 ppm
Sulfate (SO4): 241.0 ppm
Chloride (Cl): 40.0 ppm
biCarbonate (HCO3): 281.0 ppm

pH: 8.34

Mash Schedule: Noonan’s Double Decoction

Albumin = 128-131F [15-20]
Dextrinization = 155-158F [45-55]
Mash Out = 165-168F [5-15]

Brewer’s Notes:

Based upon my notes to produce an authentic Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier from Bamberg, Germany. Bamberg is located in Franconia (Northern Bavaria) with a population of about 70,000.
Bamberg like Rome is set upon seven hills which is home to no less than 9 breweries producing over 60 different beers (though only 2 produce the world famous Rauchbier), two large malting facilities (Bamberger Malzerei & Weyermann), the world’s oldest brewing equipment manufacturer (Kaspar Schulz) & the Franconian Brewing Museum. Combine those amazing facts with some of the best tap houses in Germany & you’ve found one of the best European destinations for beer.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier is proudly served at the famous Schlenkerla Tavern which was founded in 1670. The tavern is located in “old towne” and traditionally serves their Rauchbier from oak barrels (Kilderkins). Shlenkerla’s famous beer is produced at their “Heller-Trum” brewery situated on Stephansberg (or Stephen’s Hill).

Awards:
Gold Medal - 2003 Sunshine Challenge, Orlando, FL

Gold Medal - 2004 Upper Mississippi Mash-Out, St. Paul, MN
Gold Medal - 2004 FOAM Cup, Tulsa, OK
Silver Medal - 2003 Dixie Cup, Houston, TX
Silver Medal - 2003 Upper Mississippi Mash-Out, St. Paul, MN
Silver Medal - 2004 Sunshine Challenge, Orlando, FL
Bronze Medal - 12th Annual HHHC, St. Louis, MO
1st Place - 8th Annual Music City Brew-Off - Nashville, TN
2nd Place - 2004 AHA NHC (1st Round), Basehor, KS

I have made this recipe several times and it is fantastic.
Mashed @ 153
US-05 fermented at 58F

I have won a couple awards with also.

I will say that next to this Sam Adams Bonfire tastes like dog $hit!

I’ve got a smoked cascade steamer on tap now. It tastes great but I’m glad I have other beers on tap, because with the smokiness I don’t want more than one at a sitting. I’ll have to check my notes but I don’t think I used more than 2 lbs of smoked malt in the 5 gal batch. Definitely enough for my tastes.

Be careful if ever using Breiss cherrywood smoked malt. It is much smokier and would not be appropriate for the Schlenkerla Rauchbier.

would love to see the recipe.[/quote]
here ya go, smoked dusseldorf altbier
5 lb smoked malt
3 lb munich malt
3 lb vienna malt
.5 lb caramunich
.25 lb carafa special II
.9 oz horizon hops at 60 min
.5 oz mittelfruh at 15
.5 oz ‘’ at 0 min
`1007 yeast
mash at 149
my notes didn’t say what temp i fermented at i’m guessing around 50-55

Here’s a rauchbier straight from Weyermann. Haven’t tried it.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/hr.asp?go=detailrz&idrz=22&umenue=yes&idmenue=42&sprache=2

Just bought the ingredients for a rauchbier. I’m thinking 90% Weyermann Bamburg smoked malt, 10% Briess Cherry Smoked Malt. I’ve done 100% Weyermann before, but didn’t get the bacon flavors that you get from Schlenkerla. The Briess smells more bacon-y, so I figured it may help. I’ve never used the Briess before, so if anyone thinks I should adjust the percentage up or down, let me know.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com