Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Wanted, IBU of 90+!

I bought the EPA extract kit and would like to get an IBU of 90+, possible?

What extra steps would I need to do for this to happen? Which ingredients?

Why do u want 90 ibu in an epa? 90 ibu will make it much more like an IPA. If you want more bitterness you can add more hops at the beginning of the boil. You can find recipe formulating programs online where u plug in your ingredients and add/tweak your hop schedule to achieve your desired ibu. Hops add bitterness and flavor, the longer they are boiled the more bitterness is extracted from the hops. If they are boiled for a short amount of time they add flavor/aroma and less bitterness. (ibu = international bitterness units)

I’m thinking I picked the wrong kit now and being new I thought and EPA was just an extension of an IPA. Am I wrong?

The reason I want 90 is I like a beer called “Hop Stupid” and it’s IBU is like 104, so I wanted to try to get a little closer than the 45ish of EPA.

If you take an EPA and make it 90 IBUs it will taste nothing like Hop Stoopid.

EPA is just extra pale ale. It’s not extra IPA which I think is what you’re thinking. That’s what SN Torpedo is. You wouldn’t want to make a beer that’s supposed to be an EPA over 90 IBU’s, it’d be gross. There’s not enough abv and body in that beer to justify such high IBUs, it’d be horribly unbalanced.

thanks for the info…I’ll stick to the recipe and do more research next time :slight_smile:

That’s probably for the best, I’m sure you will still like it. Hop stoopid is loaded with hop flavor, and I think they use hop extract to achieve that. Try getting an IPA kit next time. It’s good to stick to the kit recipes for your first few batches to get accustom to your brewing process before you start tweaking stuff

Good luck and happy brewin :cheers:

Agreed with what you say, but I would have thought EPA was an English pale ale. But I haven’t looked up the kit, so I could very well be wrong.

[quote=“Denny”]
Agreed with what you say, but I would have thought EPA was an English pale ale. But I haven’t looked up the kit, so I could very well be wrong.[/quote]
It could be either. Northern Brewer has two kits with the abbreviation EPA.
English Pale Ale

Extra Pale Ale

I was referring to the Extra Pale Ale kit.

Think of that recipe being more similar to Summit EPA.
It’s hoppy, but not as heavy or hoppy as the one you were imagining.

There is more to Hop Stoopid (and any Double IPA) than just the IBUs.
In fact because actual IBUs and calculated IBUs could be very far apart, IBUs aren’t even a particularly useful metric for comparing beers from different breweries.

If you want to make a Hop Stoopid type beer, look for a golden colored Double IPA of about 8% that uses an english yeast and uses a lot of dry hops. I taste Simcoe or Summit in the Stoopid.

If you added hops you could make it 90 IBUs and, unlike above, it wouldn’t necessarily be gross, it would just be an IPA, and a highly bitter one at that. As far as I know an ‘extra’ pale ale is just a recent commercial category, not a traditional style. Isn’t Deshuttes Mirror Pond labeled that way? It’s a pretty good beer (great deal as well at $2.99/bomber), basically a light hopped APA. If you want a 90 IBU beer, go for it. I guess the question is, would the grain bill stand up? Maybe you should make it per directions first. What is the projected OG?

I just brewed it per recipe this time…if I like it I might brew it again and hop it up a bit. I bottle this weekend so I will get a taste :slight_smile:

If you want a 90 IBU beer like hop stoopid you’ll need to up the malt bill to compensate. The abv on that beer is 8% which gives it enough malt sweetness to help balance all that bitterness.

Next time buy the double IPA kit if that’s what you’re looking for.

This is an excellent course of action. :cheers:

When you do decide to “hop it up” , experiment with what the concept might mean to you.
Do you mean more/sharper bitterness? Or do you mean hop flavor? Hop aroma? Massive hop burps?

It’s all good, but not all about just adding IBU’s .
Cheers.

[quote=“BrewMU” As far as I know an ‘extra’ pale ale is just a recent commercial category, not a traditional style. Isn’t Deshuttes Mirror Pond labeled that way?[/quote]

Nope…http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/mi … d-pale-ale

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com