Volume Question

I just tasted my 2nd extract brew that was in primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 4 weeks and bottled for 2 weeks - the Dry Irish Stout - and I love it.
I plan to make more very soon.

Only thing I would change if possible is maybe strengthening the taste. Not really concerned too much about the abv, but I feel that if it tasted a little stronger, I could probably live on the stuff.

I was wondering if its as simple as just not topping up the fermenter to the full 5 gallons? Or if maybe I should steep my grains for longer while keeping the pre-boil water at the correct temperature. Or buy extra grain? Or if I’m best not meddling till I know more about whats going on in the happy world of homebrew :?

Thanks as always for any info

Brian

[quote=“Flibster”] Or if I’m best not meddling till I know more about whats going on in the happy world of homebrew :?

Brian[/quote]

I am not sure I know out of the options you listed, what would work best. BUT my one comment is 1/2 the fun of home brewing is meddling around at bit. At least it is for me.

I would not be overly afraid of trying various adjustments, especially if folks onhere had great ideas. Heck that the purpose of doing all of this to some degree.

of course it does take time and $, isn’t as simple as trying 2-3 cookie recipies is my point, but if you want to try different things, just take good notes and give it a whirl

Adding less water will increase the character of the beer as well as the ABV. Increasing the steeping grain weight (not the time which won’t do much if anything for character) will add more character but will not have much impact on the ABV, plus you’ll get the full five gallons of beer out of it.