Vintner's Fruit Wine Bases

Have not used Vintner’s Bases before and looking for some advice on their elderberry base. I am wanting to make a 5 gallon batch and the recipe on the can has a 3 and 5 gallon recipe. Is 1 can enough for 5 gallons or will the flavor and body be too weak? Also any advice on yeast?

You’ll want to use at least 2 cans for a 5 gallon batch. I would probably use at least 3 for a 5 gallon batch. Assuming you’re making elderberry wine? If you’re making something else where a percentage of fermentables are coming from another source… not as many cans are needed.

Thanks for the reply. It takes so long to age wine to find out I should have used more fruit. All of the fruit wines I have made I used fresh fruit. I am just getting back into this and wanted to get a couple batches in the works

I would base it off the SG reading. Personally I would want all the fermentables in a fruit wine to come from the fruit (vs adding sugar of some sort to supplement it). If you’re making a mead then it’s a bit different because then you’re going to get at least half your fermentables from honey.