Vienna Lager - Recipe/Water Help

:cry:
Just keep proving your a little baybe, grow up.
Not once have I actually said one ill word about any one peer. If you cant handle the fire then why jump into the ring? Instead just cry every time I am in a discussion with other peers and then keep jumping in like a kid and put up some more whack stuff like you just did again, this is at least the third-fourth thread you have done this kind of crop where you were not an active thread participant, other than to just chime in against me. Be a man, seriously bud.

Not once have I actually said one ill word about any one peer. If you cant handle the fire then why jump into the ring? Instead just cry every time I am in a discussion with other peers and then keep jumping in like a kid and put up some more whack stuff like you just did again, this is at least the third-fourth thread you have done this kind of crop where you were not an active thread participant, other than to just chime in against me. Be a man, seriously bud.[/quote]
ITsPossible, I for one, enjoy reading your posts, as they are generally well-spoken and are clearly drawn from well-researched, and practically applied knowledge. But the ad hominem attack of “you’re being a baby” is beneath you.

Being smart and knowledgable doesn’t HAVE to be a competition. Martin can have a different position based on conclusions drawn from different weighting of assessment criteria. It doesn’t necessarily force invalidation of your position. Just agree to disagree. But this thread ceased to be about mash pH a long while back, and became about emotional intelligence and communication style.

You took offense earlier in this thread about what you perceived to be Martin’s “dark, conceded snarkyness.” I submit that what we often find offensive in others are problems we should look to address in ourselves first.

The tone and emotional value of statements are very difficult to get right in written communication. And it’s not valid to say, I’m speaking of facts/statistics, there is no emotion. People will read emotional content no matter how dispassionately you try to write. What sounds like an intelligent peer-to-peer exchange of knowledge in person, can read like a pompous rant to strangers on the internet.

Clearly, you are at the top of the game in knowledge; what i am seeing suggested over the last few posts is that your opinions may be valued even more if you spend some time woking on the “how you say it” aspects.

I better brew this quick, it seems like everyone needs a beer stat.

Just look what you did mister!

Not once have I actually said one ill word about any one peer. If you cant handle the fire then why jump into the ring? Instead just cry every time I am in a discussion with other peers and then keep jumping in like a kid and put up some more whack stuff like you just did again, this is at least the third-fourth thread you have done this kind of crop where you were not an active thread participant, other than to just chime in against me. Be a man, seriously bud.[/quote]

“can’t handle the fire”, “jump into the ring”??? Dude, grow up. This is a forum not fight club. Your issue is that anytime anyone even hints to disagreeing with an opinion you expressed or offers an alternative view, you jump all over them. You talk (or type) down to them while spewing paragraph after paragraph of information all the while, ripping into them and questioning their knowledge. This is a forum for opinions to be discussed and debated. People shouldn’t come on here, offer an opinion, and be attacked by trolls like you. You constantly reply to posts with insults and just spew regurgitated numbers and statistics. If answering a persons post that’s one thing, but stop attacking anyone with a different view.

So much more I’d love to say to you, but I’m going to hold myself to a higher standard and not stoop to your level of childishness.

Ok, back to science here folks.

I can’t find pickling lime anywhere, what else can I do with my water profile to take this out of the equation?

Holy crap! I avoided the in-laws this season to not have to listen to their … stuff. At least there I’d have got some pie.

[quote=“hoppyguy”]Ok, back to science here folks.

I can’t find pickling lime anywhere, what else can I do with my water profile to take this out of the equation?[/quote]
It is sold online and in any “canning” aisle at any store.

I LOVE that!

I’ll have to order it online, it’s false that it is available at ANY store with a canning aisle. Walmart, Meijer, Jewel, Dominick’s, Whole Foods, Target, World Market all carry Ball pickle crisp, an alternative to pickling lime. It’s a sodium free calcium salt (calcium chloride).

I bought pickling lime at Walmart.

When you can take the pebble from my hand…

That’s where I found mine.

?wtf?

?wtf?[/quote]Kung Fu (line in the show from long time ago)

Ah, so.

What did you call me? (a line from a different movie)

Hi Hoppyguy,

Just saw your post and thought I’d add some recent experience on a Vienna Lager I brewed on November 30th, 2013. It’s lagering now and when I tried it a few days ago, it’s very well one of the best beers I’ve brewed. Recipe is:

86.2% Weyermann Vienna Malt
12.5% Weyermann Munich 2 Malt (the ~9L version)
1.3% Weyermann Carafa Special 2

22.1 IBUs of German Hallertau Mittlefruh at 60 minutes
2.4 IBU German Tradition at 10 minutes

Yeast: WLP 838 Southern German Lager
Fermented at 48F, settled at 50F with a big starter (pretty much matched MrMalty calculator) for 2 weeks, then kegged and sat in the garage at high 30s for a week, now in the freezer at 32F (or maybe colder given the weather in PA right now)

OG: 1.055
24.5 IBU (Rager)
11 SRM

I used house water (from a relatively old test) unmodifed for this brew:

Ca: 30
Mg: 9.4
Na: 19
Sulfate: 31
Chloride: 41
Bicarbonate: 85.5

After two weeks in the fermenter (10 gallon batch) it was pretty much a mostly clear medium red/brown color with a strong presence of sulfur. Lagered now for a few weeks and the sulfur has mellowed significantly. The beer tastes reminiscent of Shiner Bock, but much much better. Very smooth, incredible malt flavor, creamy head and very very tasty. And now crystal clear. Shiner Bock tastes like a cheapy version of this. I’d guess is this is because of malts used…but I have no idea what Spoetzl uses or if they source German malts like Weyermann.

I am a strong believer in dead simple recipes for German lagers. I am curious about your thoughts on using Carapils and Melanoidin malt in this recipe. Also of note, I didn’t use any pilsner malt and hit a batch sparge efficiency of 71% with a single infusion rest at 152F (I typically get 68-74% though it has been going up as I refine mash schedules, etc). I’d say my water Calcium levels are lower than they should be (under 50ppm), but everything came out and cleared up fine. With the Carapils and Melanoidin malts, a 154F mash might be too sweet and too much body? I keep dialing things back on German lagers and they keep getting better.

I question the use of very late hop additions, especially in a malty German lager. Are you going for hop aroma? Given the nice Vienna malt flavor of this, I’d go for less bitterness and hop matter in the boil.

Just my $.02…you’re going to have a very tasty beer, Prost!

[quote=“hoppyguy”]Hi All,

Since moving towards doing lagers this winter because my basement is ideal temp, I’ve really been focusing on my water, mash PH and making sure everything lines up for the style. I’ve started to work on a Vienna Lager recipe keeping all of this in mind and would like some feedback on my water and recipe, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Below is what I’m planning, let me know what you think. I’m new at using Bru’n Water and working from distilled water as a base, so I might be way off on this! I was trying to hit the vienna boiled targets but shoot for a calcium over 50ppm to aid in yeast health.

Batch Size: 5.25 Galons
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
SRM 13.2
IBU 23
ABV 5%
Boil Length: 90mn
Mash: 154

Grain Bill
4lbs Vienna Malt (4L)
4lbs Munich Light (6L)
1.75lbs Pilsner (1L)
.25lbs Carapils (1L)
.1875lbs Melandoin (25L)
.1875lbs Carafa II (425L)

Hop Schedule
1oz Hallertauer Tradition 4.5%AA (60mn)
1oz Hallertauer Tradition 4.5%AA (15mn)
1oz Hallertauer Tradition 4.5%AA (0mn)

Yeast
Wyeast 2124

Mash:
3.5 gallons 90mn rest at 154 degrees (Mash PH of ~5.4?)

Sparge
5.5 gallons 10mn rest at 170 degrees

Base Water
100% Distilled Water

Mash Water additives:
1g Gypsum
1g Epsom Salt
1g Baking Soda
.5g Calcium Chloride
1g Chalk
1ml Lactic Acid 88%

Sparge Water additives: