Victory! New recipe

So I’m going for a nice, west coast style IPA with a fairly simple recipe. I’ve been reason that simple is sometimes the best, Im looking for a nice, but not assertive malt backbone with a very woodsy, earthy hop-forwardness.

Here’s what I have so far:

5 gal. BIAB
7 gal. boil volume.

Est. OG 1.066/ FG 1.017 75% efficiency
IBU 78 SRM 12.8

7.5 # 2-row
1.5 # victory
1.5 # crystal 40
1 # corn sugar (at flameout)

1 oz. Horizon 60
1 oz. Galena 15
1 oz. Glacier 5
2 oz. Galena DH for 7 days

1272 w/ starter

2 wks. Primary/ 1 wk. Secondary DH / 2 wks. Bottle conditioned.

On paper it looks Luke exactly what I want, but ive only used victory once and it was with a bunch of other grains in the grist, so I’m not 100 % what it contributes.

Any thoughts???

Cheers! And thanks in advance

Your FG ought to be lower with 1272 and the sugar, like 1.012. I think your OG is about right for your grain bill and the sugar. I wouldn’t bother with a secondary for this - just toss the DHs in when you reach terminal gravity, keep the beer around 68F, and wait a week, then bottle. Victory adds a biscuit-like flavor and aroma - since you’re using non-C hops and going for a more earthy/floral thing, you might want to back the IBUs down a little to let the hop character and malt come forward.

So than maybe drop the horizon down a little? How far down should I bring the IBU? down to like 50-ish? Or use a different hop? I like the way horizon comes out as a bittering hop. And I like galena as dry hop. Any other suggestions?

I went back and read the OP and see that you want to do a West Coast IPA, so the IBUs are fine, but I would instead drop the Victory down a little, maybe just a lb at most, so the hops are featured. And be sure to add some gyspum (sulfate) to bring the hops out even more.

I add Burton water salts to all my ales since I brew with distilled water. So then just leave it as was? See how it goes? Ice heard that victory aids in head retention due to the proteins? Is that true?

Hen I think I’ll scale back the victory to 1# and scale back the horizon to .75 and up the glacier to 2 oz. That takes my OG to 1.064 and my IBU to 69 and SRM down to 11.8

^^^^ that looks good to me. And head retention shouldn’t be an issue if your brewing basics are good, so if you brew this and have a problem, post back and we’ll help you trouble-shoot head retention.

I made an ESB a while back with 1.5lbs of victory that turned out amazing. That said, it was definitely heavy on the biscuity flavor which I thought made it good but did tone down the hop flavor.

Thanks everyone! All my successes at brewing are owed to this forum. I recently brought a buddy of mine into it, and I was able to help him alot. Everytime he had/has a question. I just thought to myself, what would the threads say?

I’d lose the sugar, myself.

Ok, I’m curious why though? Just personal taste? Or is it something much more profound? I’m also making some small adjustments To the hop schedule. I want to make the hop profile pop a little

Ok, I’m curious why though? Just personal taste? Or is it something much more profound? I’m also making some small adjustments To the hop schedule. I want to make the hop profile pop a little[/quote]

It would thin the beer out too much for my tastes. It’s not that high gravity to start with and I’d like to have plenty of malt backbone for the hops.

5 gal. BIAB
7 gal. boil volume.

Est. OG 1.065/ FG 1.017 75% efficiency
IBU 78 SRM 12.05

8.5 # 2-row
1 # victory
1.5 # crystal 40

.75 oz. Horizon 60
.75 oz. Galena 15
.75 oz. Glacier 15
1 oz. Galena 5
1 oz. Glacier 5
2 oz. Galena DH for 7 days

1272 w/ starter

IMO if you’re gonna lose the sugar the be sure to do you infusion around 144F-146F…“West Coast” IPA’s are dry…if you’re going for the Pliney style west coast…sugar! and take the 5 min hops and use them to do a flame out 40 min hop stand…

You’ll have plenty of hop flavor to help balance out the isomerized bitterness. I find hop flavor balances hop bitterness just as easily as malt does.

Looks like a quality beer.

Well, I do MIAB brews. So would I mash in when it’s about 144 and then raise the temp to 152. Let it sit for 60 and raise up to 160 for the sacc rest for the last 10?

And I like the idea of drying it out some with sugar. I’m adding 1# to the way I have it revised. And maybe I’ll hopburst it some. Keep the 5 min additions maybe drop em back to 1 oz. each and then do another 1 oz. each for a hopstand.

I would lower the crystal malt to 1pound, maybe even 12ounces but thats just me.