Very Frustrated Brewer

I just ordered a portable RO system from APEC for 229.00. My plan is to be able to connect in my basement to an old unused laundry connection, or move it and my 10 gallon cooler outside to do the collection.

It may not make sense for you as it sounds like you are constantly brewing and the system may not be able to keep up. Supposed to be 90 gallons per day but that I believe is at max pressure and temperature etc. I don’t really care how long it takes as I can plan a few days out and make a few gallons at a time. If I were paying 5.00 per gallons the ROI would be very quick. I think I pay about 14.00 for 10 gal of spring water. Distilled may be a bit cheaper but I would have to take 10 one gallon jugs … For me it’s the pain in the a$$ factor of going to get the water etc.

The problem with RO is it wastes alot of water not sure that is responsible on Bonaire

Oh ya, I didn’t think of that… What does the navy use to make drinking water at sea? Prob more than just RO? I was on a couple of ships as a Marine but just for a very short ride…

1 Like

Naval ships run distillation plants. The sub I was on ran an 8,000gpd unit that ran contantly.

First @tominboston and @thantos43 thanks for your service.

Second, I find that very interesting. Something I never thought about but would love to see a unit like that. Pretty cool.

Probably cheaper to buy distilled than to put one of those in your house

I hope you weren’t thinking about putting a Sub in the basement? HHHMMM? :confused: Sneezles61

Only good thing the water not so bad. Around here desalnated water. I use for my beer water. A filter system to remove. The chlorine. Yes fruit boats still come to the island.

Cheap on the market a old russian sub

2 Likes

I hate to sound repetitive but when I do extract I always get distilled water and it makes ALL the difference. I was getting the same off taste, went to BIAB, same off taste. Not terrible, just something was a little off. I incorrectly assumed it was because it was extract.

I’m not sure how you’d do an extract BIAB… hhhhmmmm? Sneezles61

What type of water are u using for biab?

The main things I can think of that can cause off flavors are water(if you’re building up from using distilled that should ameliorate that), oxidation/brewer’s techniques/such as splashing, siphon issues(I’ve had to deal with those myself in the past), and incorrect temperature for the beer/ yeast(usually too warm during the first 72 hours of fermentation)…

These problems are not unique to extract and I’ve even had some pretty bad commercial beers…

I just buy distilled water in 2.5 gallon jugs from the local grocery. Someone on this forum suggested it and I thought it just can’t be that simple. I am not a chemist, I don not want to know all the reasons, but it sure did make a huge difference. My beer went from uh ok “maybe this isn’t worth it” to an obsession and I can’t wait to make a new batch.

2 Likes