Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Very fast fermentation

I just brewed NB’s Tongue Splitter (Extract) on Sunday 7 Apr. OG was right on at 1.045. This is the first batch that I “re-hehydrated” with a tsp of sugar (US-05 dry). Left it to sit for 30-40 min before pitching. Pitched yeast at 74* (wort temp). Put fermenter in a platic storage tun with 4-5 inches of cold water from the hose. Fermentation was violent for 3 days even though airlock didn’t bubble, later found a small crack in airlock :shock: . Dirrung violent churning fermometer was between 70*-72*. I have not checked SG yet was looking for a little advice.

Should I let it sit for 3-4 more days anyway then check?

How accurate are the stick on fermometeres?

Is my batch toast?

:cheers:

[quote=“lovethebeer”]
Should I let it sit for 3-4 more days anyway then check?

How accurate are the stick on fermometeres?

Is my batch toast?

:cheers: [/quote]

I let all batches sit for a minimum of 10 days to allow the yeast to cleanup after themselves.

IME, those are accurate within 1-2 degrees (based on my temperature controller reading compared to the fermometer).

Doubtful. With that low OG, I’m not surprised it finished quickly. Warmer temps will definitely speed up fermentation but may produce some undesirable off-flavors. I like to ferment US-05 in the low to mid 60’s.

Just FYI, don’t add sugar to the water for re-hydrating, some of the yeast will be damaged by taking sugar in too soon just as happens when pitching dry yeast to wort.

Thanks for the help!!

SO when re-hydrating, just use plain water? What temp?

I brewed this same kit a year ago and LOVED it. The only problem it once I tapped the keg (kegerator is in basement) the kids must have bumped it with a ninja turtle sword or ball. Anyway I had 3 gallons pumped on the floor. The remaining 2 were delicious. Now this. Maybe This is the beer god’s way of saying to try a different hobby?

Thanks again

I just use lukewarm (85F-95F) tap water. Sprinkle on top of 4 oz water in a sanitized container, let sit for 15-20 minutes, stir gently to wet the remaining yeast and pitch.

I have also just had a simular problem latley. My primary got up to 78 degrees on the third day and now it has stopped bubbling through the airlock. It was pretty vigorous the first three days. I am sure the damage is already done. Is there anything I can do to salvaage this batch from nasty off flavors??? P.s. This is an IPA

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFA_US05.pdf

Here are the official directions from Fermentis. I would take their advice.

Wait until you taste the beer before you write it off.

Depending on the taste, you may be able to dry hop it to improve it.

If it was cool for the first couple of days of fermentation, there may be no issues.

If it was cool for the first couple of days of fermentation, there may be no issues.[/quote]

Thanks! The first three days the fermentation temps were within 68-72 degrees. It was giving the airlock quite a workout! This IPA is currently usin only Chinook hops. Do you think several series of dry hopping with several different hops would help with flavor?? If so. Any reccomendations??? :cheers:

If it was cool for the first couple of days of fermentation, there may be no issues.[/quote]

Thanks! The first three days the fermentation temps were within 68-72 degrees. It was giving the airlock quite a workout! This IPA is currently usin only Chinook hops. Do you think several series of dry hopping with several different hops would help with flavor?? If so. Any reccomendations??? :cheers: [/quote]

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

IF it needs dry hopping, I would use the Chinook. Dry hopping won’t hurt it if it doesn’t have any off flavors.

Well this beer is currently being force carbed. Still a few days away and it tastes awesome!!

I guess you really have to be extremely careless to truly mess up a beer.

:cheers:

Beer is pretty forgiving. For new brewers, there seems to be a lot to get a handle on but the biggest thing I think is make sure anything that touches your wort below 160F is clean and sanitized. Keep a spray bottle of star-san handy and use it liberally. Nearly 6 years and over 100 batches later, I still haven’t had an infected batch… :wink:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com