Very crazy brew day

I had some time to “upgrade” some of my brewing equipment recently… My chiller, now is a parallel counter flow chiller… 2 different inputs for cold water, and outputs for the same… It did prove to chill 10 gallons boiling wort to 68* in 16 minutes… I timed it… So I did a split brew, IPA and ESB… I was concerned about my yeast, 5 generation 009 Australian ale… I didn’t wash it, so the trub from a previous batch was in the jug… I did make a starter to assure it was viable… seemed sluggish.
I used 22 pounds of grist, again 10 gallons of wort… In a separate 3 gallon pot, I steeped 5 oz crystal 20 and a mystery malt I didn’t label, 1.6 pounds… hhhmmm. and 1.5 oz chocolate malt… in 2.5 gallons water. I pulled 5.5 gallons out of the 10 after it was chilled for an IPA, 1.074!! I was really aiming for 1.061… REALLY!! And I added the what ended up to be 2 gallons to the 4.5 of wort… That gravity came in at 5.2. nice one there…
I pitched the 009 in the IPA, thinking it was going to be lame… and 05 in the ESB… 009 took off like a rocket, so much, I grabbed close 8 oz in high ferment for use later… 05 is coming along, just not too excited…
I did whirlpool the 10 gallons while chilling with 3 oz. cascade cones… seeing as I have 5 pounds in the freezer, best employ them! I will dry hop the IPA with more cascade… perhaps 6 oz total at 2 different times… ESB, well, I’m curious as to what that mystery malt was… Negra Modelo this Friday… 10 gallons… Sneezles61

3 Likes

You were busy. I had a crazy day as well trying to make an imperial Porter.

3 Likes

Hey how about sharing that negra modelo recipe? You use rice in it?

9 lbs Vienna
8 lbs dark Munich
2 lbs flaked corn, or maize if you will…
1 lbs carapils
.5 lbs crystal 120
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz Liberty, bittering
1 oz each Hallertau and Tettnang, bittering
4 oz Saaz, 5 minutes.
Omega Mexican lager yeast… Ferment at 55*
This is a 10 gallon brew, est. ABV at 5.7…
It is a moving target… Its a good point to jump in and tweak as you like… For those of you who do brew this style alot, weigh in with your grain bill… :sunglasses: Sneezles61