Vanilla

has anyone used vanilla in their stouts/porters? some microbrews claim to have a hint of vanilla, and i believe i can taste it in their brew. anyways was wondering how much to use in a 5 gal. batch.

I have used beans (2 beans split lengthwise, cut up with the vanilla bean schputz scraped out and then all of that soaked in some vodka, rum, etc. to sanitize) in 5 gallons and I have also just used some good gourmet vanilla extract. I added about 2 ounces into a dark ale and it was quite a punch of vanilla. One of my buds said it tasted like a vanilla shake. So maybe 1 to 1½ ounces in 5 gallons? This is a personal thing so decide if you want a hint or a vanilla bomb. Also, remember that the vanilla may come through more or less depending on the base style. A vanilla cream ale may require less, a porter or stout may need more. Cheers.

I haven’t used beans, but have used extract. You want to use quality, real extract if you go that route. Like Ken said, it really comes through if you overdo it. I used two Tbls. in primary and added one Tbls. at kegging for a porter. It was good, but a bit much. The flavor did mellow out over time. I think it gives a hint of chocolate when combined with dark malts.

Check this out…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22693

[quote="DennyCheck this out…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22693[/quote]

+eleventy

[quote=“Denny”]
Check this out…

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22693[/quote]

And make sure you have a few hours to spare when you do :lol: