Vanilla Cinnamon Coffee Milk Stout?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/vanilla ... milk-stout

The few questions that I have… I want to fresh grind the cinnamon. Add 1 tsp @ 10 min and add another tsp @ secondary. Is this enough to be subtle but noticeable.

I was thinking 2 vanilla Beans added to secondary split, scraped and soaked in vodka, and added.

Any help would be great!

Cinnamon is potent stuff. Add 1tsp at flameout and then sample the beer before you move to secondary. If you feel it needs more, do it then…but don’t just dump in another tsp because you think you should.

If you decide not to add any, you can sample again on bottling day to see if you still like what you taste after the vanilla has been added.

You can add cinnamon there too.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Cinnamon is potent stuff. Add 1tsp at flameout and then sample the beer before you move to secondary. If you feel it needs more, do it then…but don’t just dump in another tsp because you think you should.

If you decide not to add any, you can sample again on bottling day to see if you still like what you taste after the vanilla has been added.

You can add cinnamon there too.[/quote]

Excellent advice. I was mostly concerned about the strength of the cinnamon. Im looking for subtle but a “there” sort of feel.

Now that I think about it…1tsp of straight cinnamon might be too much for 5 gallons.

The latest beer I did was a Pumpkin Ale and we used 1tsp of Pumpkin Spice at flameout - which is only part cinnamon among other things. The beer today (bottled two weeks ago) is borderline too “spicy” for my liking.

Most of the pumpkin pie spice recipes are 1/2 cinnamon - so maybe a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon at flameout would be a good starting point.

Remember, you can always add more - but you can’t take it out once it’s in.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Now that I think about it…1tsp of straight cinnamon might be too much for 5 gallons.

The latest beer I did was a Pumpkin Ale and we used 1tsp of Pumpkin Spice at flameout - which is only part cinnamon among other things. The beer today (bottled two weeks ago) is borderline too “spicy” for my liking.

Most of the pumpkin pie spice recipes are 1/2 cinnamon - so maybe a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon at flameout would be a good starting point.

Remember, you can always add more - but you can’t take it out once it’s in.[/quote]

I read that if you just add the whole stick to the boil it will add a more subtle spice note. I think that I may do that. If I need more I will add it to the secondary…

[quote=“Zip100473”][quote=“stompwampa”]Now that I think about it…1tsp of straight cinnamon might be too much for 5 gallons.

Remember, you can always add more - but you can’t take it out once it’s in.[/quote]

I read that if you just add the whole stick to the boil it will add a more subtle spice note. I think that I may do that. If I need more I will add it to the secondary…[/quote]

At what point in the boil do u throw the cinnamon stick in?

I don’t see any need to boil spice additions. If you smell it over the kettle, it’s no longer in your beer. If subtlety and control is what you want, add them at packaging to taste.