Vanguard hops a friend grew

I have a couple questions. Looking for a good beer that I can use vanguard in. Not a fan of IPA’s. What do you recommend?
I’ve only used pellets in my brews. A friend grew a bunch of vanguard hops and asked me to make something. We dehydrated them but I’m not sure how to calculate how much to use when I do pick a beer. I know it’s not the same as pellets.

Vanguard is usually used in Lager beers and are more known for aroma rather than bittering. That’s good news. The problem with homegrown hops is, unless they’re tested, you don’t know their AA%. With this hop being used later in the boil the AA% isn’t as big of a deal. You can brew a beer using a known variety/AA% and then toss these in late.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I do. I make a seasonal pale ale every year with homegrown hops. Every year is different since every crop is different. Use a bit more water and more hops. Also put your hops in a 5 gallon strainer bag during the boil

2 Likes

This is good information I appreciate the help. I like to think of my self as still a novice brewer. I’m doing my 5th all grain batch soon and I’ll be trying my buddies hops. Should be fun to taste the outcome. Anymore good info please send it my way. Thanks

Factor in 0.1 quart of absorbed wort per ounce of leaf hops. So if you add let’s say 3 oz of these hops to your brew, you will loose 0.3 quart of wort. Totally worth it to boost the flavor and aroma!

1 Like