V Vessel sediment question

Hey there, I’m new to home brewing and just started my secondary fermentation yesterday. The line of sediment hasn’t dropped at all as compared to just before i started secondary. There is very little sediment in the ball now. Should I be concerned about this sediment falling when I rack to a keg next week? Is there some sediment left on the bottom of conical fermenter at the end of the secondary? If it clogs, can I stick a sanitized probe up the vessel tube to clear it?

This is my first brew, and i’m learning new stuff everyday about it.

Thanks

Jackson

There’s going to be a lot less sediment during secondary. During primary you not only have the yeast, but you also have the trub. The longer you keep it in secondary the more things will settle out. Cold crashing and hitting it with gelatin will help clear it up.

How do you “start” a secondary in a conical fermenter? I always thought the benefit of conicals was that when primary was complete, you drained the yeast off the bottom and start aging for as long as you like. Was this photo taken after you transferred from somewhere else?

I’m not familiar with cold crashing…but since it is clogged can I take a sterilized probe and clear the jam in the neck, let it settle a day or two? The problem is that is clogged.

Right but it is clogged in the neck of the fermenter…can i stick a sanatized probe and slowly stir the bottom so to break up the clog and let it settle in the ball in the next couple of days?

Right but it is clogged in the neck of the fermenter…can i stick a sanatized probe and slowly stir the bottom so to break up the clog and let it settle in the ball in the next couple of days?[/quote]

You can, but how would you keep it from pouring out after you do that? I would make sure your probe, hands and a clean container are sanitized under the valve when you are doing this. Are you trying to save and harvest the yeast?

You could probably go through the top to unclog the valve if you find something long enough. However, what is going to stop it from clogging again after everything settles?