Using Yeast while Bottling

I was reading in the latest BYO that a guy was using tweezers to dispense 2-3 granules if dried yeast into bottles for beer that had been aged for longer periods of time, as the yeast has a tendency to no longer be viable after long aging. I’ve also read of people using either re-hydrated yeast or liquid, such as Wyeast of WLP and using a medicine dropper or pipette and administering 1 drop of liquid in the bottle.

Has anyone used either of these methods? I’m aging an imperial stout in secondary, and was thinking about doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

[quote=“paultuttle”]I was reading in the latest BYO that a guy was using tweezers to dispense 2-3 granules if dried yeast into bottles for beer that had been aged for longer periods of time, as the yeast has a tendency to no longer be viable after long aging. I’ve also read of people using either re-hydrated yeast or liquid, such as Wyeast of WLP and using a medicine dropper or pipette and administering 1 drop of liquid in the bottle.

Has anyone used either of these methods? I’m aging an imperial stout in secondary, and was thinking about doing this.

Any suggestions?

Thanks[/quote]

How long has this been aging? What yeast did you use? It takes a really long time for so much yeast to drop out that the beer won’t carb.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]
How long has this been aging? What yeast did you use? It takes a really long time for so much yeast to drop out that the beer won’t carb.[/quote]

2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary so far. I used US-05 yeast (2 packets).

[quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“Rookie L A”]
How long has this been aging? What yeast did you use? It takes a really long time for so much yeast to drop out that the beer won’t carb.[/quote]

2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary so far. I used US-05 yeast (2 packets).[/quote]

Unless you have a REALLY high gravity beer that ages for months, I haven’t found additional yeast at bottling to be necessary.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“Rookie L A”]

2 weeks primary, 3 weeks secondary so far. I used US-05 yeast (2 packets).[/quote]

Unless you have a REALLY high gravity beer that ages for months, I haven’t found additional yeast at bottling to be necessary.[/quote]

My OG was 1.080, and the gravity when I put it in secondary was 1.012. The reason I was going to let it sit for a few months, is because there is cacao nibs, cocoa powder, and peanut butter powder in it. I thought with all that, it should sit for a while.