Using Wyeast 3522 smack-pack for 1 gal batch... HELP!

Ok,

So, I am a new brewer and have done 3 one gallon batches, all brooklyn brew shop recipe kits. All of these beers have turned out pretty well, so I’m going to do some experimentation with my next batch.

I want to use the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes smack-pack, but I don’t know how much of the yeast to use. Can anyone help?

Do I let the yeast activate in the smack pack and just pour the whole thing in? Do I use less than the full amount because of the smaller batch? I just don’t know.

Any help is appreciated!

[quote=“mrwesdunn”]Ok,

So, I am a new brewer and have done 3 one gallon batches, all brooklyn brew shop recipe kits. All of these beers have turned out pretty well, so I’m going to do some experimentation with my next batch.

I want to use the Wyeast Belgian Ardennes smack-pack, but I don’t know how much of the yeast to use. Can anyone help?

Do I let the yeast activate in the smack pack and just pour the whole thing in? Do I use less than the full amount because of the smaller batch? I just don’t know.

Any help is appreciated![/quote]

I’d use the whole thing. It isn’t a lot different than making a 1 gal. starter. I’d let the pack swell before use. You won’t get much more yeast, but you’ll know the yeast that’s there is viable.

Thanks, Denny!