Using Wintergreen

Making a spiced ale where one ingredient is Wintergreen.

The method used to extract the flavor was to pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1 oz. of dried Wintergreen leaves. Let that sit covered for 1 week which allows it to ferment.

The tea smells like Wintergreen (very slight mint on top of the aspirin smell).

Vodka tincture might be an option but the fermentation probably won’t occur.

One could also purchase Oil of Wintergreen, though I haven’t seen it sold locally (I’m sure it is, I just haven’t looked very hard.)

Does anyone have experience they would like to share with using Wintergreen?

(Mainly interested in it’s use in beer as opposed to soda (root-beer) though they may be similar.)

[quote=“jd14t”]Making a spiced ale where one ingredient is Wintergreen.

The method used to extract the flavor was to pour 2 cups of boiling water over 1 oz. of dried Wintergreen leaves. Let that sit covered for 1 week which allows it to ferment.

One could also purchase Oil of Wintergreen, though I haven’t seen it sold locally (I’m sure it is, I just haven’t looked very hard.)

(Mainly interested in it’s use in beer as opposed to soda (root-beer) though they may be similar.)[/quote]

I used wintergreen once in a test batch of my Double Chocolate Wintermint Colonial Porter. It gave a very distinct flavor that cut right through the grainy Briess malt character. :mrgreen:

[quote=“El Capitan”][quote=“jd14t”]Making a spiced ale where one ingredient is Wintergreen.

(Mainly interested in it’s use in beer as opposed to soda (root-beer) though they may be similar.)[/quote]

I used wintergreen once in a test batch of my Double Chocolate Wintermint Colonial Porter. It gave a very distinct flavor that cut right through the grainy Briess malt character. :mrgreen: [/quote]

Your on a roll!