Using whole dried hops. anything different?

I just ordered some whole dried mosaic hops from www.freshops.com. I plan to use them in my next recipe but was curious if i should do anything differently.

• Do the weights stay the same? (e.g. if I were to use 0.5oz of pellets would i use 0.5oz of whole dried hops)

• should i break them down a little before i add them?

• i will be adding them in addition to cascade hops at 15 and 5 min. Should the cascade be whole or leaf or is it ok to mix whole and pellets at the same time?

• i will also be dry hopping in secondary with these. does the process change at all?

[quote=“mattnaik”]I just ordered some whole dried mosaic hops from http://www.freshops.com. I plan to use them in my next recipe but was curious if i should do anything differently.

• Do the weights stay the same? (e.g. if I were to use 0.5oz of pellets would i use 0.5oz of whole dried hops)

• should i break them down a little before i add them?

• i will be adding them in addition to cascade hops at 15 and 5 min. Should the cascade be whole or leaf or is it ok to mix whole and pellets at the same time?

• i will also be dry hopping in secondary with these. does the process change at all?[/quote]

The ROT is to use 10% more whole than pellets. The important thing is to match AA/IBU.

Don’t break them down

it’s fine to mix pellets and whole

nope

Sorry, bit of a newb, do you mean match the AA of the whole hops to it’s corresponding pellet form? Kinda confused on this.

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“Denny”]

The important thing is to match AA/IBU.

[/quote]

Sorry, bit of a newb, do you mean match the AA of the whole hops to it’s corresponding pellet form? Kinda confused on this.[/quote]

If the recipe called for 1 oz. of 5% AA hops, pellet or whole, think of that as 5 AAU (alpha acid units). If you have 4% AA hops, then you would need 1.25 oz. to get 5 AAU. Make sense?

Got it thanks!

If you’re using brewing software (like Beersmith 2) to configure your recipes, the software will do the calculations for you based on the form (whole or pellet) and AA% values input for the hops you’re using.