Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Using harvested yeast

So I harvested my first yeast the other night from a Black IPA. Pretty sure I did everything right after reading Palmer’s How to Brew and watching a few videos.

I used the standard 16oz canning jars for this and came out with a few of them and it’s still settling after washing so not sure how it will level off yet. Do I just use a whole jar with a starter for the next batch I do? Haven’t found much on guidelines as to how much to use in terms of harvested yeast. Will a jar be too much, not enough, just right??? I know gravity would affect how much to pitch but I don’t really do any crazy strong beers.

Generally, 1/3 of a yeastcake from a properly pitched, 1.045ish ale will give you a proper pitch for a 1.045ish ale. I split yeastcakes in thirds. If the yeast harvested more than 2 weeks before I repitch it, I also do a starter to make sure the yeast are healthy before they go back into wort.

Great, I divided mine up into three jars as well so that seems to be good to go by.

I usually just pitch a whole jar. I get around 200 to 300ml in a jar after the yeast and trub has all settled. I decant off the spent beer, leaving just enough to make it all pourable, which leaves with around 300ml altogether if I have 200ml at the start settled out. One of those has plenty of yeast for most beers.

Mr Malty has a repitching from slurry option.

It sure does. I kinda just started doing it. I think I’m going to set a rule not to repitch any slurry that has a viability lower than like 50 or 60% unless I make a starter. Does that sound reasonable?

I personally go with 75% (two weeks at room temp, one month refrigerated, or some combination thereof). But I’m pretty conservative when it comes to my yeast.

I split my yeast cakes between 3 canning jars. Two weeks ago(28 Nov) I woke up my WLP940s for a mexican lager. turned out, not sure why, but 1 of 3 were dead.

I pitched each into a 1qt starter to wake them up. it took approximately 3 days before i saw any real activity, but only in 2, and no activity in the 3rd. Of the two remaining, on day 4, i swirled vigorously to get every thing into suspension, then let them sit for about 5 hours to let all the big chunks of old cake settle. then i poured off the liquid of those 2 into a single 3 quart starter. Then 24hours later, day 5, I had great activity in the starter. I let it do its thing for another 36 hours, then as it was done, i cold crashed it.

On the morning of day 7, I brewed. That evening, I decanted the starter and pitched (10pm) it into 5.5 gallons of mex lager at 50F. On the morning of day 8 I had a 1 inch krausen in my carboy.

happy, happy times.

cheers.

I personally go with 75% (two weeks at room temp, one month refrigerated, or some combination thereof). But I’m pretty conservative when it comes to my yeast.[/quote]
Not a bad thing, I suppose. I pitched a jar Saturday night into 3.5 gal of 1.072 wort that was harvested on 11/17 and it has a couple inches of krausen now, which is a happy sight. Mr Malty said it was like 57% viability, but I decided to use it anyway. Any long and I would’ve needed to make a starter, I’m thinking. Maybe should have anyway, but oh well. We’ll see what happens.

On another note, I just harvested the 2nd generation of WY1450 last night from an oatmeal stout. The yeast looks pretty dark. Would it have negative consequences if I used that yeast for a lighter colored beer? Even a pale ale?

Probably not much of an impact if any. For safe measure you could always rinse it again to get more trub and beer out of it.

Probably not much of an impact if any. For safe measure you could always rinse it again to get more trub and beer out of it.[/quote]
I might do that to one of the jars, yeah. I guess I might as well find out for myself if it makes a difference pitching it into a lighter beer.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com