Using extra 2nd runnings to add post-boil volume

I was doing my third all-grain brew last weekend and came up a little short on my post-boil volume. I had about 1/2 gal of second runnings left that wouldn’t fit into my brew kettle at the time. I ended up adding some of this to the carboy to bring my final volume back up to 5.5 gal. Figured it was a better option than diluting with water.

Will this present any problems down the road since it was not a part of the boil process?

[quote=“mrb12186”]I was doing my third all-grain brew last weekend and came up a little short on my post-boil volume. I had about 1/2 gal of second runnings left that wouldn’t fit into my brew kettle at the time. I ended up adding some of this to the carboy to bring my final volume back up to 5.5 gal. Figured it was a better option than diluting with water.

Will this present any problems down the road since it was not a part of the boil process?[/quote]

You may be in for trouble by not boiling it. Guess you’ll have to wait and see what happens.

Sanitation is super important. You could have boiled your extra gallon of wort in another kettle and then added them together into your fermenter.

True you could have introduced some infection by doing this, next time just bring it to a boil for 5 min and you should be good to go.

Of course if you cooled quickly and pitched healthy yeast, the yeast may out perform the bacteria. I would try to keg that stuff at the 10 day mark to limit any infection and keep it cold and serve it fast.

+1 to the sanitation thing, this is how some people innoculate for sour beers. Also boiling drives off DMS precursors so you might detect a sweet corn/cabbage thing.

Or you could get lucky and it’ll be fine!