Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Uses for Northern Brewer hops

I’ve got an abundance of Northern Brewer and WLP001. Got any suggestions for what I should brew this weekend? I’m thinking about an all Northern Brewer American brown ale. Something that’s around 1.045-50 OG, with an ounce of NB at 60, 15, and flameout.

Thoughts?

I have the same problem. A couple years ago I bought 3# of NB and I recently gave one away. I subbed it in several brews but I personally don’t care for the flavor it imparts. I still have an unopened pound. Denny’s BVIP is the only beer I make that uses NB.

I guess my answer to your question is a porter.

I gota agree with Greg. It took me an eternity to go through a pound of NB. Initially I used it for a Steam Beer but was not all that impressed so the rest was used exclusively for bittering dark beers like a porter or stout. YMMV… Cheers!!!

You can use Northern Brewer as a bittering hop in virtually any beer.

Yes, this is true but I went conservative with dark beers. I didn’t want that funk showing up anywhere near my lighter lagers. Might have been okay in an IPA but I just couldn’t risk it at 10 gallons a pop. YMMV. Cheers!!!

Yes, this is true but I went conservative with dark beers. I didn’t want that funk showing up anywhere near my lighter lagers. Might have been okay in an IPA but I just couldn’t risk it at 10 gallons a pop. YMMV. Cheers!!![/quote]

If you’re getting “funk” with Northern Brewer then something is very wrong. In my experience they are clean and neutral enough to blend with almost any variety. I’ve even used them blended with Saaz to bitter Czech Pils with excellent results. Maybe the wholesaler or retailer rather than the hops is the problem here.

I use them for steam beers and bittering in some stouts, porters, etc.

I used a hop schedule like that in an Anchor Porter clone. It came out quite nice. There’s little mintiness to them that blends well.

I’m another one who doesn’t really like the harshness or woodiness from NB variety hops. If I had them and needed to use them I’d put them in lightly hopped dark ales like porters browns and stouts.

janet’s brown ale…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com