Uses for Extra Wort

So, the last AG batch I brewed left me with a question: I fly sparge, and generally stop collecting wort when the brew kettle is at capacity. My fly sparge usually lasts about an hour. This means the mash tun still contains a gallon or two of sparge water/wort after my kettle is full. Are there any uses for this leftover wort? If so, how long will it keep, etc.?

Make a 1-2 gallon session beer?

Freeze some for making starters.

Reduce the amount of water you are using. :slight_smile:

Any of the commercial or free programs that calculate water for batch sparging will have the same water volumes for fly sparging. You should be able to get below .5 gallons remaining in the grain.

If the gravity is still there, like mentioned freeze it for starters.

You could use it in some other cooking. Roasts, soups…

Right on. All good advice. Much obliged.

A round of hot scotchies? That is warm wort with some scotch mixed in - an all around health, vitality and mood booster.

You want to do the scotchies with first runnings, much sweeter. By the time you’re at the end of a fly sparge it’s pretty thin wort.

I save extras for starters.

Oh yeah, I forgot that critical component. I wonder if one could consider this elixir to be “Glug”. No sarcasm intended. :lol:

Thanks reminding me to stay on topic Glugmaster!!! I think I’m going to have a cold scotchy. That, I know for a fact, is scotch on the rocks.

Use it in place of water when making bread. I make a delicious oatmeal bread with 2 c of wort in it. Mmmm

Use it in making some chocolates

Hey I would like to save some of my extra wort for the next batch I brew. If I wanted to freeze some for future starters would I just sanitize a milk jug and freeze it in that? Does it have to be frozen or just kept cool?

[quote=“Shenanigans”]Hey I would like to save some of my extra wort for the next batch I brew. If I wanted to freeze some for future starters would I just sanitize a milk jug and freeze it in that? Does it have to be frozen or just kept cool?[/quote]Freeze it, then thaw and re-boil before using in a starter. Or pressure can it up front and you can use it right out of the Ball jar.

Thanks Shadetree! I will be storing some wort for future yeast starters this weekend.

I hadn’t considered that. I think I’ll start doing the same thing.

I generally save 3-4 quarts of low gravity wort in sanitized mason jars after each brew day. It is my final runnings where I tilt my mast tun cooler and just let it drain during the boil.

I store in fridge and have had no issues using up to 3 weeks later. Of course, I boil and add a little DME to get the gravity right.

I had one jar stay cloudy and I was cautious and just discarded.

I added about 2 quarts of final runnings to some current final runnings to make a small batch recently, just on a whim.