Useing bacon?

i just fried up about 2 pounds of apple wood smoked bacon for the maple bacon porter i have fermenting. who has used bacon before and is there any hints i might need? im soaking it in jack daniels also. guess im worried it might spoil??? this is a new adventure for me so any advice would be a big help! thanks in advance! :cheers:

Plan for no head retention?

Has this been done before? Besides the oils killing head retention, even with the soak in JD I’m getting a feeling of it spoiling in the bottle.

Keep us updated.

I’d save the bacon for some BLTs.
But that’s just me.
FWIW, I too would be concerned about head retention (though after thinking about it, the pigfat is saturated, so will likely coagulate into a fairly easily removable hunk of glop when the beer is cooled); but the meat going bad in the beer is still a concern.
I think there must be more 'beer friendly"ways to get the bacon-y flavors you’re looking for into the beer.

In any case, by all means follow your bliss and be sure to report back at tasting time…while it’s not something I think I would ever try, I’d be really curious to know how this beer turns out.

sorry gues i should have said how i was going to use it. the recipe says to soak it in alcohol,skim off the fat,filter to remove as much fat as possible and add the alcohol to the bottling bucket.so really all im adding is bacon infused jack right??

Based on prior experience (that consisted of watching other people doing it, I don’t dig the pig), an easy way to add bacon is to do it in small batches for immediate consumption. Crumble bacon into a 1L bottle, fill with the Porter, and let it sit for a couple hours, then spike some fresh Porter with the bacon-infused stuff, poured through a coffee filter.

Bacon is for breakfast…Breakfast beer! Interesting!

Bacon makes everything better…well ALMOST everything…really…it’s not for beer. Step away from the bacon.

I’ve had rauchbiers that have made me think of bacon. You could use some smoked malt in a porter then maybe add some apple wood for a secondary soak and avoid the fat all together. Or applewood smoke your own malt.

the recipe has 4 lbs of smoked malt in it,you could really smell the smokiness but since its been in the fermenter,not so much.so now i dont know what to do??? do i add to bottling bucket when ready and possibly have a beer i dont like or have a bacon flavored jack daniels to take shots with? decisions decisions. i still have a couple weeks to think about it. thanks for the input everybody!!

bacon…it not just for breakfast anymore!! :lol:

And you live in Austin??? What a waste. :cry:

Since you have the infused jack, you could just add it to the beer when you pour it. Then you can kind adjust the baconosity every time.

I have never made a rauchbier, so I can’t say how it smells through the process.

Rogue has a couple of interesting beers available now. One is the Maple Bacon Porter. The other one is the Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. Here’s the link: Rogue Vodoo Doughnut Collaboration Beer
http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

They come in pink bottles. I’ve had both, the choc/peanut is better IMO. Both are interesting and pricey, to say the least.

Soak the bacon in vodka or some other neutral spirit for a few weeks. Put the liquor in the freezer for a few days then strain through a coffee filter. Add the infused liquor to taste before bottling/kegging.

[quote=“moose”]Rogue has a couple of interesting beers available now. One is the Maple Bacon Porter. The other one is the Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter. Here’s the link: Rogue Vodoo Doughnut Collaboration Beer
http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

They come in pink bottles. I’ve had both, the choc/peanut is better IMO. Both are interesting and pricey, to say the least.[/quote]

I have had Banana Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter…one word describes it… “Nasty”…

Do yourself a favor and NEVER drink this beer. I’m a huge Rogue supporter, but it’s some of the most vile stuff that’s ever passed my lips. One sip and you’ll never want to put bacon in your own beer.

Do yourself a favor and NEVER drink this beer. I’m a huge Rogue supporter, but it’s some of the most vile stuff that’s ever passed my lips. One sip and you’ll never want to put bacon in your own beer.[/quote]

Disagree. I’m actually NOT a huge fan of most of Rogue’s beers, with the exception of their stouts, but I thought this one was pretty darned interesting. I mean I certainly wouldn’t want much more than a half pint, but let’s be honest, its a novelty beer, not something you’d order in a bar.

I actually thought for what it was, it was pretty well-made. Also, the one I had was about a year old, so maybe some of the character mellowed. It had a subtle smoke flavor, and substantial caramel flavors from the malt to balance.

I will admit: I am in the VAST minority with my opinion of this beer…but I didn’t really have any expectations before my first sip… :cheers:

As was said earlier though: there are ways to get this flavor without adding swine to your beverage. Rauch malt #1 with the bacon vodka tincture as #2.

And you live in Austin??? What a waste. :cry: [/quote]Why? Austin is not known for pork other than bacon - brisket is king here.

bri[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Pietro”][quote=“Shadetree”](that consisted of watching other people doing it, I don’t dig the pig)[/quote]
And you live in Austin??? What a waste. :cry: [/quote]Why? Austin is not known for pork other than bacon - brisket is king here.[/quote]

yum brisket, bacon and beer, anyone one else getting hungry?

+1

That just sounds nasty. Go with smoked malt.