Used wine Barrels- where to find

Looking for a used wine barrel, 5 gallon. Have a 5 gallon whiskey barrel, but also looking for a wine barrel. My LHBS has whiskey, but can’t get wine, and having a hard time finding anything within a size range I am able to use.

Any one have suggestions as to where to look for used wine barrels?

Ask around at local winery’s. A lot of times if you explain what you are wanting it for they will sell you one or sometimes just give you one.

That’s going to be tough. 5 gallon barrels are just not commonly used for wine. If you live in wine country, there’s a chance, like @damian_winter said, but you’ll have to literally find a winery that is experimenting at small scales, and is ready to give up a barrel. It really is a long shot.

55-60 gallon barrels are fairly available, and you might be able to work something out with other local brewers to fill it. But it’s a lot of work.

I think I would get a fresh 5 gallon barrel, age a wine kit in it, and voila, 5 gallon wine barrel. I honestly think that would be your best shot at getting one.

3 Likes

Did see last night on tv most whisky brewers. Use their barrels only once. Than they do sell. Most of them go to scottland. So maybe get a barrel from them. Ok might be bitt bigger than what you look for