Used 3 gal kegs, 4 for $125

Decent deal at Homebrewing.org. I have had a great experience with these people and their used kegs. Pin-Lock, but I can work with that.

I have been wanting to get into 3 gal kegs, and this is a good way to start. Anyway, thought I would share the info.

I’ve been eyeing them for a while, but I really don’t want to have to convert everything to pinlock. You can put 3 gallons in a 5 gallon keg, ya know? I know, it’s not the same. It’s nice to have a FULL keg.

Mobility is the benefit I’m going for. I am going to make a setup with an igloo cooler on wheels, mount some taps. No need to convert everything I have to pin-lock, that set up will be pin-lock. Transfer from full kegs to half kegs. I don’t see me using 3 gals in the kegorater, that would be pointless.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Keg-Post-Con ... _1808.html

Can be converted for a few more bucks, might be a consideration for the set up.

I don’t see the big deal about converting to pin lock don’t you just screw off the ball lock and screw on the pin lock. I only have pins but that’s what I thought I would do if I got some ball locks. What am I missing ?

I had given it no thought until this exercise. Seems as there isn’t much to it, according to homebrewing.org.

Two 3 gallon kegs work great for a mobile kegerator!

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/tookalisten/media/photo-9_zps5dadd400.jpg.html

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/tookalisten/media/photo-10_zps230bd22f.jpg.html

That is really cool!

That’s what I want to do. Pretty awesome.

Anything you’d do different? Where did you get the CO2 hardware?

Ok. Now I am a bit jealous… I can only fit 1 of the 3 gal pin locks. :slight_smile:

-Tony

I think it will go, did you try standing on it?

[quote=“burdbrew”]That’s what I want to do. Pretty awesome.

Anything you’d do different? Where did you get the CO2 hardware?[/quote]

I ordered the CO2 hardware all from Keg Connection. The 3 gallon kegs that I have are the ones with the rubberized bottoms. I did have to shave a small amount of the rubber off to get them to fit (width was a little tight). I used a razor/box cutter and only took a few minutes.

If I had it to go over, I would probably order the 2.5 or 3 gallon kegs that are all stainless without the rubberized bottom. I would need to look at diameter; but they may fit easier.

:lol: I wouldn’t…if you ever want to get them back out.

Three gallon kegs are also good for cask conditioning. It is just about the right amount for a party. I keg condition the beer with an ounce or two of sugar and add dry hops. When the beer is ready to serve in a few weeks, you can lay the keg down on its side and serve through the in fitting. If you run out of pressure, you can add a picnic tap on the outside which controls the air going in so the beer will flow again. This is old school gravity dispense, but it works and the beer comes out creamy, with a nice hop character. I have done this several times and some of my older friends that have been to England really enjoy the evening.

Another thing holding me back from getting these is a lack of pressure relief valve. And, I guess, that I’d have to get a socket removal tool. They are a great deal though for those already set up for pin locks.

Its easy to relieve pressure, just push the center of the post with a finger nail. No big deal. I got pins cheap and that’s what I do. Really not worth paying more just for a relief valve.

Lol. I think I’m happy with one keg at a time. :slight_smile:

I spent a 5 dollars more and get a SS depressurizer. It just twists on… I have really enjoyed the flexibility of smaller 3 gal. batches so many styles, so little time.

which of the two $9.99 conversions kits would you want?

The sizes of the post vary, so you’d have to measure.