Use of juice in a brew

Tweaking a recipe I did two years ago. Did a bourbon barrel Belgian quad. Turned out great for a first attempt. Going to use less bourbon and get more contact time with the oak. I was also thinking about a slightly tart pop in there somewhere by adding a little cherry juice, probably with the bourbon. Kind of going for a barrel aged 3 Philosophers (who mixes their quad with a kriek). Was thinking maybe 3-4 oz of a tart juice for 5 gallons. Anybody use cherry juice in a brew before and how much did you use? Would prefer not to use an extract because I want to avoid it tasting artificial.

You won’t be able to taste 3-4 oz at all. Try a full gallon and see how that tastes.

Might also think about adding a 750ml bottle of Kreik or two. I think that is what Ommegang does with their Three Philosophers. Not the exactly same style beer you are brewing but same idea adding the cherry flavor.

Yah, I think I read in Brew Like a Monk their ratio is 98% quad to 2% kriek. So doing the math…

1 gallon = 128 oz.
128 oz. x 5 gallons = 640 oz.
640 oz. x 2% = 12.8 oz.

Maybe I’ll start with that and see where it lands. Just don’t want a cherry bomb instead of subtle pop.

[quote=“Lytnin”]Yah, I think I read in Brew Like a Monk their ratio is 98% quad to 2% kriek. So doing the math…

1 gallon = 128 oz.
128 oz. x 5 gallons = 640 oz.
640 oz. x 2% = 12.8 oz.

Maybe I’ll start with that and see where it lands. Just don’t want a cherry bomb instead of subtle pop.[/quote]
Maybe I overshot the amount there :oops: Sounds like a plan. Plus it could be added at bottling or kegging so you can try a little at a time.