US Wheat

Day off - I brewed an American Wheat 5 gallons

5 lb 2 row
5 lb wheat
1/2 Centennial @ 60
1/2 Centennial @ 20
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 0
Pitched on a yeast cake (Wyeast 3333) from a Hefe, which I then bottled.

5 1/2 hour day after clean up. I’m gonna sit back to watch Olympics now.

Pretty good way to kill 5 1/2 hours if you ask me haha.

I love Centennial in light, refreshing beers. Nice simple beer.

[quote=“harpdog”]Day off - I brewed an American Wheat 5 gallons

5 lb 2 row
5 lb wheat
1/2 Centennial @ 60
1/2 Centennial @ 20
1 oz Centennial @ 10
1 oz Centennial @ 0
Pitched on a yeast cake (Wyeast 3333) from a Hefe, which I then bottled.

5 1/2 hour day after clean up. I’m gonna sit back to watch Olympics now.[/quote]

Is it still considered a U S wheat using a German yeast? Not that it won’t be a good beer.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]

Is it still considered a U S wheat using a German yeast? Not that it won’t be a good beer.[/quote]

Good call. I’m sure it’s not! I just wanted something simple to put onto that yeast cake - wasn’t thinking about style guidelines (I’m not that cool!)

The lid blew off the fermenter bucket at 1 AM. I rigged up a blow-off tube. Had to sanitize with what was on hand - which turned out to be a pretty good tequila. Natch, I had to drink the remainder.

You definitely made a German Hefe and not a American Wheat. It’s all about the yeast. German wheat yeast lend clove and banana flavors while American Wheat yeast create a more dry and crisp beer. Both good, but very different. I prefer German wheat’s and I really like what you did choosing Centennial hops. I’m very curious how that turns out.

Not a hefe either with the Cents and that hoping schedule. We’ll just call it “wheat”.

Brewing AG ought to be an Olympic event! I bet I could brew 3x my weight in beer! That’d be over 600lb though, so 70+gal. Maybe not.

S’pose that’s true. I really like hefe and the banana/clove taste, so this should be nice.
I was really trying to just reuse the yeast cake and have a summerish beer to finish the season with.
Maybe I’ll call it a What instead of a Wheat.

Still had occasional big bubbling from blow-off tube yesterday AM, but quiet today.
I decided since this brew had such a workout, to transfer to secondary (which I don’t usually do).
I figured it would like clearing away from that huge trub mess.
Took a reading at 1.008, down from 1.042. I had a taste - very nice.

This is the beauty about home brewing… you can make anything you want the way you want it :smiley:

And we’re here to criticize you for it! Then we’ll ask for the recipe.

:lol: