US-05

For the most part, virtually all my beers have used US-05 as the yeast. Dry yeast is just easier to work with and I’ve always gotten good fermentation from it.

However, I notice that virtually all of my beers have a similar aroma and taste. Not an off flavor or infection, just a particular aroma and taste that I am now attributing to the yeast strain I use. The only time I didn’t get this experience was when I absolutely decimated a beer with Centennial hops. I think this masked the yeast contribution.

I think I’m going to just suck it up and spend the time to create starters and use some yeast strains that have a reputation for being mostly transparent and clean. Like the Chico strain from Wyeast or the California yeast from White labs.

Does anyone else know what I’m talking about here? Or am I crazy? It is hard to describe the flavor and aroma, but it is very consistent every time I use US-05.

US-05 is my #1 yeast, but… I pitch it once and reuse thick slurries multiple times. It has served me very well over the years… YMMV. Cheers!!!

I’ve noticed the same thing. It isn’t a bad or off flavor but I can pick it up in very light beers. When I brew a Cream Ale I use 1056, I use US-05 in hoppy and darker beers, I don’t notice it in them.

I haven’t heard of people finding a noticeable aroma/flavor from US-05. The liquid strains you mentioned are pretty much identical to US05 so I don’t know that I’d go that route and expect different results. I would look closely at things like fermentation temp (#1 on the list of things that can make for a fruity beer), your water or your base extract/malts.

Personally I like to mess with different yeasts so I go the starter route and reuse yeast cake to offest the cost. Now that dry yeast is $4 a pack I don’t even worry about cost so much.

Maybe its a matter of enough yeast too, I know a dry pack is supposed to be enough cells but maybe you’d get better results with a repitch like hamiltont suggested. Another thing to try./

I use US-05 in almost everything so it would be hard for me to pick out a difference. It definitely likes to be fermented on the cooler end (low 60’s) for the cleanest ferment. I notice a huge difference when I let a batch get away from me and go up to say 76F.

I’m going to rule out temperatures. I use a very controlled fermentation chamber (my chest freezer conversion). I usually shoot for the middle to lower end of the recommended temps. The highest I usually go is 68.

At first I thought it was an off flavor. But I think that it is just the nature of the yeast. Of course, I could try to pitch higher so that the yeast doesn’t have to work as hard and see if that makes a difference. But, with a properly hydrated yeast packet, I should be golden for a 5 gallon batch.

I’m also an all-grain brewer, so I’ve been able to rule out any twang from extracts.

All yeast impart some flavors to the beer. To get the cleanest flavors go a little cooler. I use US-05 and ferment down into the mid 50’s with it. I have gone as low as 52F without any problems. Hydrate it and chill the yeast to your pitching temperature…it works great.

+1 for never having any problems, but like others have said, it seems to prefer cooler temps <68

I know what you are talking about. Recently, when I have the time, I have been getting WL001 (or even more recently 090 which I really like), but I still do use US-05 regularly - all depends. That said, ‘no higher than 68’ is still too high - I really noticed the aromas I think you’re finding when I fermented at 64-68 beer temp. If I use US-05, the temp controller gets set right to 60df.

I ferment all my ales at 60° in an old keg cooler. Next weekend I’m making a batch of my corn beer with US-05, I’ll ferment it in the mid 50s and see if that makes a difference.

Now I’m thinking I may have to split a batch and do a side by side.

I’m a firm believer in choosing the right yeast for the right beer. I use Wyeast and make starters when necessary. I gotta say, some of my best beers I can attribute directly to the yeast. Check out NB’s Patersbier recipe. 1 Grain, 1 hop, 1 yeast, water. Nothing else. It’s a fantastic beer. The yeast adds such an incredible flavor. No way you could get that type of complex flavor using US-05.

no one suggested using US-05 for a belgian style. US-05 is a good (“right”) selection for a broad array of American ales but is not a yeast for every beer style.

Not sure what you are getting at here.

Just saying I wouldn’t use one yeast for virtually all my beers. Yeast can and does impart just as much flavor to a beer as grain and hops. Again, this is my opinion.

yeah, I hear ya, but if all the OP makes is IPAs, APAs, Ambers and say Porters, then US-05 is okay for him and why he uses it for virtually all of his beers. He isn’t necessarily limiting himself in yeast selection, its just what he likes to brew lends to using US-05 predominantly.

just like if someone really likes english styles, they might use 1968 or 1098 in virtually everything they make, etc.

Agreed, but I didn’t actually see him say that all he makes is IPAs, APAs, Ambers and Porters. He said virtually all of my beers use US-05. And all I was trying to say is that most styles can benefit from a specific yeast and not to think of US-05 as the end all say all for all or even most beers.

Starting to feel sorry for chiming in.

[quote=“dobe12”]Agreed, but I didn’t actually see him say that all he makes is IPAs, APAs, Ambers and Porters. He said virtually all of my beers use US-05. And all I was trying to say is that most styles can benefit from a specific yeast and not to think of US-05 as the end all say all for all or even most beers.

Starting to feel sorry for chiming in.[/quote]
I’d agree with that assessment. I have an IPA that I really like that uses Thames Valley and it wouldn’t taste the same if I used US-05. But I’m pretty sure it’d still taste pretty frickin’ good. US-05 is a solid and versatile yeast. So easy to use too.

Also, you hear people saying, “for what it’s worth, don’t even bother harvest yeast that was dried yeast. It’s cheap anyway and not worth the trouble, just get another packet.” I don’t agree with that. Why not extend your costs as far as they can go? You’re saving money either way.

[quote=“dobe12”]Agreed, but I didn’t actually see him say that all he makes is IPAs, APAs, Ambers and Porters. He said virtually all of my beers use US-05. And all I was trying to say is that most styles can benefit from a specific yeast and not to think of US-05 as the end all say all for all or even most beers.

Starting to feel sorry for chiming in.[/quote]

He didn’t, but its sort of inferred - his issue isn’t yeast type related - he seems pretty content on wanting to use an American Ale strain, rather he’s having particular issues with Safale’s version of the strain he wants to use.

Wasn’t my intent to make you feel bad - :cheers:

I never understood that logic either. Dry yeast has gone up quite a bit in the last few years, I remember getting US-05 for a $1.65 a few years ago now it’s $3.75, Nottingham has gone up even more, to nearly 5 bucks. So yeah, if I can squeeze 3 or 4 batches out it I’m there. Hell, you wouldn’t step over a dollar if you spotted it on the sidewalk.

I think Larry Tate should pick up some 1056 and see if it’s different for him.

Blatz, you’re assuming a lot of things in this conversation. Maybe you should go back and read the OP again.

nevermind.