Us-05 is the best yeast ever!

Maybe it’s the Winter Skal talking but that damn yeast is the best ever created by man. No starter needed up til 1.070, two packs rehydrated will make a phenomenal Barley Wine, and it’s like $2 a pack. What else would anyone need? Even if I do a speciality brew I just change up the grain to make it what I’m after and pitch the US-05 and it still makes a great regional brew. Wee Heavies and Alt’s at 58 F? No prob!

I don’t know bout you but I’m sold. If it’s an Ale, it’s US-05! :mrgreen:

Most ale’s anyway.

It’s a pretty good yeast, and I use it often, but if I want a really clean beer I go for WY1056. 05 has just a touch of fruitiness that I can detect and don’t care a lot for.

Where do you get it for $2 a pack? I pay $3.25 and I never use 2 anyway…only 1… :slight_smile:

I do use it allot though.

I’ve had the best results with it also.

I also find US-05 to be slightly fruity when fermented at 60f or lower, although after about 2 weeks in the keg it the fruitness seems to disappear for the most part.,

Big +1 on that. It’s a fantastic yeast that can even be used for making very good bastard lagers.
And it also works well through multiple repitching.

I’m starting to up my fermentation temperature with it. Been fermenting around 65 or 66F, and it seems to be nice and clean without that fruitiness.

US-05 is definitely an awesome yeast. Wish I could get it for $2 a pack. It’s $3.29 where I get it.

Definitely good stuff. I like my German weizens and Belgian brews though. I’m pretty sure US-05 can’t deliver a nice banana scented wheat or dry clove and fig Belgian strong. Just gotta pick the right tool for the job!!

Big +1 on that. It’s a fantastic yeast that can even be used for making very good bastard lagers.
And it also works well through multiple repitching.[/quote]

LMAO :mrgreen: Now I know why I could never look these beers in the eye!!

OK, maybe not $2, but easily half the price of the liquid offerings.

Try US-05 at a little higher temperature, if you want a little of the clovy phenols of a Belgian. I’m not saying it is a perfect match by any stretch, but in a pinch it will make a pretty decent beer.

à votre santé !

If I’m using dry I prefer notty under 62f and us-05 over 62f. both are nice at the right temps.

Yo, Sonny! Haven’t see you around in a while!

Yes, US-05 at 65-67F is just about right.

[quote=“Beersk”]I’m starting to up my fermentation temperature with it. Been fermenting around 65 or 66F, and it seems to be nice and clean without that fruitiness.

US-05 is definitely an awesome yeast. Wish I could get it for $2 a pack. It’s $3.29 where I get it.[/quote]

A lot of shops charge more than $3.29.

Yo, Sonny! Haven’t see you around in a while!

Yes, US-05 at 65-67F is just about right.[/quote]

I prefer it in the high 60’s to low 70’s. Sometimes it’s the character I’m after. If it’s any run of the mill Ale than that’s where I try to park it. If it’s a smooth Ale, like an Alt of Scottish, then I chill it out a bit.