US-05 impression

I’ve used Wyeast 1056 in the past for my Cream Ale, but be cause of curiosity I pitched US-05 this time. Rehydrated and pitched at 72 degrees f. wort temp. 64 ambiant. 1.046 OG.
Using the 1056 I got a thick chunky kreusen and massive activity in the carboy, and very quick activity within 6 hours with a 1 ltr. starter.
The US-05 is fermenting with an approx. 1" of kreusen that looks almost like the head I would like on the finished beer. Very few tan/brown chunks on the top. Is this typical with your experience with this yeast?
Thank you.

Sounds like what I usually see. Been using US-05 more recently as my brewing has been more spontaneous - solid yeast and while you might notice a difference head-to-head with something like WLP007, on it’s own no one complains.

I have been on a dry yeast kick this year. Most of the beer that I’ve brewed this year has been with dry yeast. 8 of the 13 batches using dry yeast have been US-05. I usually ferment at 60-65 degrees. If dry yeast wasn’t great, I wouldn’t use it.

J

I was really hoping to get confirmation on the difference in appearance?

Not meaning to nitpick, but why are you concerned with the appearance of the krausen? I’m not that much of a yeast whisperer, but I suspect the krausen’s thickness/composition has more to do with HOW MUCH yeast you pitch, viability, what temp, and their growth rate.

FWIW BYO did a study about pitching dry yeast directly into wort vs. rehydrating, and couldn’t find any taste differences, though I SUSPECT you might find that there are fewer viable cells if you don’t rehydrate (which you did), which could cause a smaller krausen. Also, typically safale/fermentis products contain way more viable cells per ‘container’ than equivalent vials/smack packs.

As far as US-05 next to 1056, I am 99% sure they are the exact same strain (Chico/Sierra Nevada), so I would suspect your difference is more related to pitch rates and other conditions, including gravity of the wort and temp. I’ve heard some report a slight peach ester when using US-05 @ lower temps (low 60’s FERMENTER temp), but haven’t experienced it, and frankly, it sounds like it might be pleasant!

I think what you’re seeing is normal.

Can’t say much without a visual, but the description sounds fine - I prefer US-05 fermented lower, to avoid fusel alcohol production and typically chill below fermentation temp then allow it to rise up to mid-60’s on its own. I have never had the peach flavor noticeable, at least to me, anyway. Sounds like you have a good, clean fermentation going - best of luck with your beer.

I’m concerned because if I don’t worry about things I have no control over who will?.
It’s just that it was drastically different than what I had gotten with the 1056.
I’m to the point where I am trying to replicate favorite recipes and just changing up 1 factor.

I usually get about an inch thick krausen. I’m not having luck rehydrating though, which is weird. The last two beers I’ve rehydrated and it’s not really help it start any faster than direct pitching. But dry yeast is nice and easy, for sure.

can you give a little more information about how you prepared your starter (ie did you decant, was it fully fermented out or actively fermenting, etc.)?

Is 1056 the same as WLP001/US-05? I thought it was, but they call it “American Ale Yeast” whereas 001 is California Ale Yeast. I’m pretty sure they are both “Chico” as is US-05.

My bet is on the phase of the yeast cells when pitched, especially if your starter was actively fermenting when you pitched it. If the starter was chilled, decanted, then pitched, my guess would simply be viability.

Either way, I doubt you will be able to detect a difference in the beer. Now if you had used a kolsch yeast for your cream ale, now thats another story…mmmmmm, kolsch yeast…

I find that the grain bill largely determines what kind of fermentation I get. I use 05 almost exclusively for the past few years and every fermentation is different.

This as well. I would think that dextrins, proteins, and a bunch of other compounds make up the krausen, as well as yeast cells. Everything from grain bill composition to mash temp could affect it.

Channeling Emily Latella " Nevermind" (Old farts vintage SNL reference), recently I switched to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy and have not had to use a blow off tube. Well between 2:00pm and 5:00pm the fermentation exploded. Massive activity, kreusen blew off the airlock, and foam all over my UV blocker(old t-shirt). The irony is I’m really kind of relieved by it because it’s all about the beer. Thank’s all.

I have always got a thick krausen with 05 that tends to stick around for a while. I usually rack to a secondary by the second week, and usually have to poke my sypgon rod through the rubbery foam.

It’a all good.

[quote=“flytyer”]I’m concerned because if I don’t worry about things I have no control over who will?.
It’s just that it was drastically different than what I had gotten with the 1056.
I’m to the point where I am trying to replicate favorite recipes and just changing up 1 factor.[/quote]

No offense, man, but why wouldn’t it be different? It’s a different yeast.

The yeasts may have started out from the same source, but they have differences these days. Not major differences, but differences all the same.

No offense taken, It was just that I was really surprised at how different the appearance, and activity was, especially in the first 36 hours.

IMHO 05 is one of the most consistent yeasts that produces consistent results in duplicate batches. Pitch dry btw. No need to rehydrate

I read in an earlier post that someone made a starter using us05. I thought this was not necessary. I use us05 for all my brews . How do yall feel about safale 23 lager yeast