Ok, I’m a bit nervous. Since I ‘overchilled’ this, I still dumped into a new container when the beer was at 39* or so (cleaned and spray-sanitized w/ Star San). I left this out for about 4 more hours to warm up (after the aeration of dumping/decanting), then pitched and let it warm up the rest of the way. Around Day 4, I noticed activity slowing, so I raised the temp from 68* (beer) to 72* (ambient…ie I took it out of my ferm fridge). This is my typical schedule and it helps to get me to full attenuation. Pulled a sample at day 4 and it tasted good and hoppy, clean, just a little young, maybe yeasty.
Pulled another sample last night (Day 7) and noticed a few eraser-sized flecks on the surface. Hopefully these were just yeast remnants, but they appeared to have a bluish tint (mold?). The sample tasted fine, but had a weird vegetal, almost buttery smell. Did a 90 minute boil with the lid off, but am wondering if my extended chill then transfer then warming might have allowed some DMS to develop. Alternatively, I’m hoping I didn’t pick up lacto or another bug (known to produce diacetyl) with this extended chill/warm-after-too-much-chilling.
Either way, this beer isn’t ready to pull off the yeast, which is a bummer, because half the reason I made the beer was to grow up a cake for a 1/2 BBL of RIS we are brewing tomorrow. The other half was for a welcome home party for a vet friend of mine thats been in the AFG for the last year. Looks like its going to be a six-pack of US-05 kind of brew tomorrow and maybe a store-bought beer for the party next weekend.
Yet another lesson, if you are brewing for a specific event, do it at least a month ahead of time so you can brew another batch if you need to.