Unnecessary Bottle Bomb Fears?

There might just be excessive precautionary comments on bottling higher-carbonated beers like Tripels, but has anyone carbonated a Tripel in regular 12 oz bottles to 3.5 volumes?

I’ve gone to 4 vols, but I only use thicker bottles so don’t know how something thin (like an Anchor bottle) might hold up.

I have a lot of generic craft beer bottles (3Floyds, Bell’s, Magic Hat), Sam Adams bottles, Sierra Nevada and New Belgium. I guess I could always KEG the 9.5% Tripel I make, but I’d rather let a beer like this age in bottles.

I’ve also gone to 4 vol. I’ve used Sam Adam’s bottles and New Belgium bottles.

4 vols in New Belgium bottles? That’s good to know! I have a bunch of those and was worried about bottling a Belgian strong at probably 3 vols.

I overcarbed (accidentally) my Tripel… 10.9%!!! Regular brown bottles. No bombs yet. I’ve been worried about it, but they were carbed about 6 months ago and I’ve been drinking them for the last 4 months with no explosions. They’re overcarbed to the point where it’s almost like drinking champagne. Still tastes good, but very disappointed that a beer that I primaried 1month, secondaried 2 months, and bottle conditioned 2 months didn’t turn out well only because I goofed when making my priming sugar solution.
:oops:

I’ve generally seen 3 vols as a rule of thumb for a safe level of carbonation in your run-of-the-mill 12oz craft beer bottles. I’m sure most bottles can handle a bit more than that, but you never know if you have one that has some weak spots (especially after repeated use). Having said that, I bottle my weizens at 3 volumes in recycled craft beer bottles and have yet to see a bottle bomb.

You sure 3.5vol is going to do something that 3vol won’t? 3vol is pretty fizzy.

I occasionally use 750ml champagne bottles, the American style can be capped. Some cheap apple cider for $3 a bottle works, the kids like to drink it at holidays.

+1 I bottle my weizens at the same level and have never had any issues

+1 Same here. I have plenty on hand since I also bottle my big beers in them.

[quote=“dobe12”]I overcarbed (accidentally) my Tripel… 10.9%!!! Regular brown bottles. No bombs yet. I’ve been worried about it, but they were carbed about 6 months ago and I’ve been drinking them for the last 4 months with no explosions. They’re overcarbed to the point where it’s almost like drinking champagne. Still tastes good, but very disappointed that a beer that I primaried 1month, secondaried 2 months, and bottle conditioned 2 months didn’t turn out well only because I goofed when making my priming sugar solution.
:oops: [/quote]

Yeah, I feel the same way about mine, even though I didn’t prime ENOUGH. It’s pracitically undrinkable.