Unique tap handles!

Since I’m currently in Afghanistan, I was able to get my hands on some of the spent 30mm casings from the cannon of an A-10.

I plan to make it into a tap handle. Now I need to get my hands on a couple more for more tap handles and chop them down into shot glasses.

I’ve looked around and found some tap handle threads, but nothing like this. Anyone else have unique tap handles they have made?

I’m thinking of also getting an old hand mike and turning it into a tap handle, should be fairly easy.

I would pound or glue a wooden dowel into it then drill out the wood and add thr thread insert.
you can get the inserts online. good luck. those are gonna be pretty cool. :cheers:

Awesome!

I just upgraded my kegerator and I’ve been meaning to build some cool tap handles. I was planning on welding up some various metal stock into cool designs, kind of like tap handle metal sculptures. Haven’t got around to it yet. I like the mic idea too. Cheers!

I was thinking of welding a nut where the primer is for attaching it to the faucet. And then getting someone with wood skills to make a “bullet” to complete it. Maybe sprucing up the shell with sandpaper to polish it up nice. Oh well I have 3 months to figure it out…

:cheers:

Sounds cool!

Hope your time over there is safe and uneventful. :cheers:

Did some modification to the controler and piece of wood with a coarse file.

It is unique. I like it.

Now that’s a unique tap handle! Anyone have more examples?

Here’s one that I for a friend who has an airplane themed bar and another I made out of glass.

No need to weld a nut, just pour an inch or so of JB Weld in the bottom of it then you can drill and tap where the primer is. If you get you hands on a live round, ball only no tracer or incinderairy, you can try and get the bullet out of the end and bring that back to (don’t put the casing and the bullet together till after you get back or customs could have a fit if they find it). To make it really mean something special you can hide some sand in a shampoo bottle or something and then put that inside the casing, “cap” if off with epoxy or JB Weld leaving enough room for the bullet, then glue the bullet into the casing. That would give the handle a nice heavy feel and put a little meaning inside :slight_smile:

Bro, I just realized your here at Riley, what unit are you in because I don’t think you have 3 months left in country :slight_smile: I think your closer to 60 days then 90

I’m actually in the air force, I just support Army units, but yes I am stationed at riley. So I probably won’t be going home when 4/4 leaves, which I assume is who you are talking about.

First, Madd Maxx and Shredd3r, thanks for serving our country. I hope both of you return safely and quickly to your homes and families.

Second, Shredd, I’m about 3 hours away from your listed home. I do woodworking so message me if there is a way I can help when you return. Besides, KS has some beers I can’t get here in OK!!! I’m sure we could work something out!

Burl Wood Handle

[quote=“trevmoon”]First, Madd Maxx and Shredd3r, thanks for serving our country. I hope both of you return safely and quickly to your homes and families.

Second, Shredd, I’m about 3 hours away from your listed home. I do woodworking so message me if there is a way I can help when you return. Besides, KS has some beers I can’t get here in OK!!! I’m sure we could work something out![/quote]

I’d love to work a swap, what are you looking to get your hands on?

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]Burl Wood Handle

[/quote]

Did you make this? Love the look of the burl wood.

[quote=“shredd3r”]
Did you make this? Love the look of the burl wood.[/quote]
I had lots of help from a friend who has a lathe.

Here is another one that we did (he did most of the work on them). This one is coconut wood.

Anyone ever tried to scrimshaw bone or antler for a tap handle?

Those would look nice.

I was also thinking of a “knotty” piece of wood would make a nice tap handle. I used to live in AK, and some of the trees would grow very disfigured with large gnarly knots throughout the tree. Very unique…

Heres a picture, note the legs of the caribou…but on a tap handle scale.