Unidentifiable off-flavor

Or perhaps, raise the chloride level a tad. But it was a suggestion, it seems kind of doubtful that’s what you’re perceiving.

My chloride levels are almost always 100 to 150 ppm for all my beers. Accentuates the malt. Ignore the irrelevant “ratio”.

300 ppm sulfate is appropriate for IPA, so I don’t think having too much sulfate is your issue.

Trust me on the Epsom. You do not want to play with Epsom.

I’m interested in the outcome here as I have a similar issue with my most-recent IPA. I originally attributed it to the Maris Otter I used as a base malt, but I suppose it could be something else. Is it possible it is simply a pH issue (ie pH of the finished beer)?

Anything is possible. That’s why I would need to taste the beer to really be able to diagnose anything. It makes little sense to guess as to what’s going on without having tasted the beer.

My water is pretty high in calcium and very low in magnesium, so I’ve been using just a slight amount of Epsom salts to bump up sulfate a little without adding extra calcium. I’ve kept it around 20-25 ppm, though. Haven’t noticed any off flavors so far.

I definitely won’t be going any higher than that based on Dave’s feedback…

I’ll try to get one shipped out to you sometime next week. I have a few days off so hopefully I’ll find some time to get one out to you. I may also include a bonus beer just for you to enjoy 8)

Sweet. If you send me some good stuff then I might have to return the favor…

:cheers:

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]My chloride levels are almost always 100 to 150 ppm for all my beers. Accentuates the malt. Ignore the irrelevant “ratio”.

300 ppm sulfate is appropriate for IPA, so I don’t think having too much sulfate is your issue.

Trust me on the Epsom. You do not want to play with Epsom.[/quote]

Yeah…your ratio could be 4 -1 Chloride to sulfate at only 4ppm and 1 ppm and those levels are to small for either ion to have much of an impact.

Dave just wants some free beer. I judge beer also but I may need a full six pack. Send it and I’ll let you know what I think. Disclaimer, I have no credentials.

Hey Matt if your still following ,the ale I’m drinking now that a few days ago had that slight aftertaste is gone. I just gave a taste to a friend and he was very flattering. The carbonation hasn’t changed so that wasn’t it. I’m convinced,in my case anyway, it just needed a little more time. I hope your problem is that simple also. I’m bringing this beer to the SB party tomorrow I’ll find out if anyone notices anything.