Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Undercarbed always

I’ve done 4 batches now using the fermenter’s fizz drops. One mustache envy kit, one rye stout kit, and a couple maple pumokin ale recipes and they’re ALWAYS under carbed using the fizz drops and I do not know where I’m going wrong.

I use a mix of 12 and 22oz bottles, 2 drops in the 22’s and 1 in the 12’s

I invert the bottles a couple times a day for the first week or so, I didn’t at first and thought maybe the sugar was sitting on the bottom. No change

The caps seem good, I do get a little hiss when the bottles are opened. There is some carb but not enough and ZERO head

I leave in primary for 2 weeks and then a week or two in secondary and I bottle condition for about 4 weeks, I refrigerate one bottle at a time for 24+ hours and then try one so the rest keep conditioning just in case they’ll improve, they never do

it’s drinkable, but I’d like a little more carb. Maybe up it to 3 drops in a 22oz? I’m pretty hesitant to do that.

I’ve never used the fizz drops but is there any reason you aren’t mixing your own priming sugar solution? You can much more accurately dial in the carbonation you want.

laziness and being new one less variable is all really.

I may actually mix a batch and try to add a small amount to a few bottles and recap, I don’t know yet. It might fizz too much when poured in.

[quote=“philip_g”][quote=“mattnaik”]

I may actually mix a batch and try to add a small amount to a few bottles and recap, I don’t know yet. It might fizz too much when poured in.[/quote][/quote]

It shouldn’t fizz, particularly if the sugar solution and the beer are somewhat around the same temp.

Ditch the fizz drops. Corn or table sugar, use an online calculator to dial in your carb to where you want it. Then as long as they are capped properly and the beer’s fermentation finished, they have to be the right carb, they have no choice.

Ditch the fizz drops IMO. Buy a scale and weigh out your own priming sugar using the calculator on NB. Your beer will have different amounts of co2 already in suspension before bottling depending on temp. Calculator makes it easy. There is no way for a fizz drop to carbonation different styles of beer to the proper level of co2 using the same amount in one 12oz bottle.

any thoughts on dosing them now after conditioning awhile? Maybe a half dose of priming sugar? I have a LOT of semi flat beer, and I hate to waste it! It’s probably worth my time to open a couple, maybe 5 and try adding some sugar and recap and condition. I can do small batches until I have it right or just slowly do it as they’re consumed do more

btw they are conditioning at 68 degrees.

the calculator gives me 3.2 grams for a 22oz I could add 1.5 here now and see how it goes I guess?

[quote=“philip_g”]any thoughts on dosing them now after conditioning awhile? Maybe a half dose of priming sugar? I have a LOT of semi flat beer, and I hate to waste it! It’s probably worth my time to open a couple, maybe 5 and try adding some sugar and recap and condition. I can do small batches until I have it right or just slowly do it as they’re consumed do more

the calculator gives me 3.2 grams for a 22oz I could add 1.5 here now and see how it goes I guess?[/quote]

I think its a good plan. You may want to put them somewhere where if they turned into bottle bombs, the bottle shrapnel would not hurt anyone/anything (maybe a rubbermaid container).

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“philip_g”]any thoughts on dosing them now after conditioning awhile? Maybe a half dose of priming sugar? I have a LOT of semi flat beer, and I hate to waste it! It’s probably worth my time to open a couple, maybe 5 and try adding some sugar and recap and condition. I can do small batches until I have it right or just slowly do it as they’re consumed do more

the calculator gives me 3.2 grams for a 22oz I could add 1.5 here now and see how it goes I guess?[/quote]

I think its a good plan. You may want to put them somewhere where if they turned into bottle bombs, the bottle shrapnel would not hurt anyone/anything (maybe a rubbermaid container).[/quote]

I ALWAYS use a rubbermaid container for the first couple weeks at least. I’ll open a couple bombers and try it and see, it’s all I can do I guess. I have an accurate scale so I can measure it, hopefully I won’t contam them.

no go. instant fizz destruction.
I’ll refrigerate one and try it cold. maybe it’ll go better.

Try dissolving the sugar in a small amount of water and boiling for a few minutes. Then from the volume of the liquid, calculate the amount you need for each bottle and dose the bottle with the liquid. Dry sugar will always cause an overflow if there is any carbonation in the beer already–too many nucleation sites. I’ve done this before and it worked fine. Good luck.

Ron

oooh. yeah. Don’t add solid sugar. My apologies I had a response typed to indicate such, but I must not have hit ‘submit’. Dissolve it in as little water as possible before adding to bottles.

For my last two batches of stout, I’ve used one Domino sugar “dot” per 12 oz bottle as an alternative to boiling a sugar solution, cooling it and adding it to the bottling bucket and I’m happy with the results. Great carbonation and faster.

I started doing this after having uneven carbonation on a previous batch of ale using the customary method. To give the accurate info on my carb problem, I did have one minor departure from standard procedure. I was using a Mr. Beer fermenter and so did not rack the beer from a primary into a bottling bucket. I added the cooled priming solution and stirred it gently, waited 1/2 hour for it to go into solution and bottled. I had done this before with ok results, but not this time.

Some of the bottles were totally flat and other were gushers. Obviously, I either didn’t get it mixed well enough or it settled out in the half-hour interval before I bottled it.

So far the Domino sugar dots are working great, and I’ll continue to use that method as long as I like the results. Took six bottles to a party and everyone liked the brew including one guy that is also a homebrewer.

Perhaps it won’t work for all styles or for those who may be more particular than me.

[quote=“lazy ant brewing”]For my last two batches of stout, I’ve used one Domino sugar “dot” per 12 oz bottle as an alternative to boiling a sugar solution, cooling it and adding it to the bottling bucket and I’m happy with the results. Great carbonation and faster.

I started doing this after having uneven carbonation on a previous batch of ale using the customary method. To give the accurate info on my carb problem, I did have one minor departure from standard procedure. I was using a Mr. Beer fermenter and so did not rack the beer from a primary into a bottling bucket. I added the cooled priming solution and stirred it gently, waited 1/2 hour for it to go into solution and bottled. I had done this before with ok results, but not this time.

Some of the bottles were totally flat and other were gushers. Obviously, I either didn’t get it mixed well enough or it settled out in the half-hour interval before I bottled it.

So far the Domino sugar dots are working great, and I’ll continue to use that method as long as I like the results. Took six bottles to a party and everyone liked the brew including one guy that is also a homebrewer.

Perhaps it won’t work for all styles or for those who may be more particular than me.[/quote]

I’ll look into them.
I have gone through and added one candy to each bottle, I was a little concerned about the 12 oz bottles but they didn’t blow. I tried a pumpkin maple ale tonight and it was slightly over carbed but not horrible. I didn’t try one of the bombers but I suspect they’ll be just right or slightly under carbed if I had to guess. I’m glad I could salvage these batches, it’s a real shame to waste the time and money.

one of the ales

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com