Unable to find grain types in Beersmith

I know some of you use Beersmith so I thought I would post this. I have to admit I am a little frustrated using beersmith. My first all grain batch, the yeast wasn’t listed. Now I am brewing a Belgian Strong Golden Ale from NB and I could only find 1 of the 3 grains used in that recipe. I was unable to find Belgian Pilsner and Belgian Cara 8. Is it under another name? Am I missing something here?

thanks,

Brent

I just add them myself when I come across one that isn’t listed already. The info you need is generally summarized in the description of the grain.

Go to beersmith.com and you can load in new .bsm files with different Maltster’s products.

This is the description:
MASH INGREDIENTS
– 12 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
– 0.25 lbs. Belgian Cara 8
– 0.25 lbs. Biscuit malt

I think I need more info than that

I have to double-check that you’ve used File > Add-ons to add all available grain profiles? It’s rare that I have to add grains, although recently I had to add Castle Pils.

Belgian Pilsner can be found under “Pilsner (2 Row) Bel” if you’re happy with a generic profile (which is very different from the specs for Castle’s pils BTW).

Also bear in mind that some products are available in the grains listing, but have been re-branded by the maltster. Castle is the main offender here. For example, they renamed Aromatic malt as Chateau Abbey.

I’ve had to add a few of the newer Cara. Think I had to add the Cara 45 and 8. I just select a Cara that is close to the number example 40 for the 45 then took the info from NB site and updated it and saved the ingredient.

[quote=“brentconn”]
This is the description:
MASH INGREDIENTS
– 12 lbs. Belgian Pilsner
– 0.25 lbs. Belgian Cara 8
– 0.25 lbs. Biscuit malt

I think I need more info than that[/quote]

No, I meant if you look up the specific grain. For example, search for Dingemans Biscuit Malt on NB, click on “additional information,” and it’ll give you the data you need to enter it into BS.

Thanks for everything all. I finally made my way through the add ons and installed the grain profiles. :smiley: