Two yeasts in a vintage IPA?

Greetings.

I picked up a Make Magazine a few months ago since it had “Brew a Vintage IPA” listed on the cover. Interesting recipe from an 1869 Reid IPA. The weird thing is that the recipe lists two yeasts and doesn’t explain if I’m to choose either or if I should use both. Here’s the ingredient list and a link to the article.

•Pale malt 2 row — 13.25lbs
•Golding 90 min — 5.00oz (142g)
•Golding 60 min — 4.00oz (113g)
•Golding 30 min — 4.00oz (113g)
•OG — 1057
•FG — 1019
•ABV — 5.03
•Apparent attenuation — 66.7% (racking)
•IBUs — 177
•SRM (color) — 5
•Mash at — 157°F (69.4°C)
•Sparge at — 175°F (79.4°C)
•Boil time — 90 min
•Pitching temp — 61°F (16.1°C)
•Yeast — Wyeast 1098 British Ale — dry
•Wyeast 1099 Whitbread Ale

•(optional) Brettanomyces clausenii

Any guidance on this?

Thanks.

Dale.

Looking at the yeasts it looks like they are not too different from each other (based on their website). I suspect that they are giving you options. Use whichever one you prefer, based on the Wyeast description. Personally, based on the Wyeast description, i’d use 1099.

Aren’t those mash temps high for an IPA?

It looks like the option is if you want it to attenuate a bit more. Even more if you use brett.

Check out the mash/sparge schedule on the original recipe.

The mash schedule in the original recipe is confusing to me. I’ve read old malting techniques required different mashing procedures. They also said that the beer continued to ferment in the barrel until it was about 85% attenuation. I just thought that at that high of a mash temp you wouldn’t reach that percentage. I really don’t know, I’m just asking.

I’d just ignore the mash schedule provided and use a mash schedule that you are comfortable with. Maybe it is my own lack of experience with all grain (8 batches of all grain), but i don’t know why you would need such an intricate mash schedule.

The article says they dry hopped bug the modern recipe doesn’t call for dry hops. The article says the original was highly attenuated. But at 157deg mash I don’t think you will get much more. The author says it was .019 at racking so he expects it to go lower. The old recipe said they did part of the mash at 150deg. If I were doing the recipe that’s the temp I would mash at. I would ferment it out and then use the second yeast with a little sugar to cask condition in the keg. Then I would serve it at keg pressure to be authentic.