Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Two types of (dry) hops

I brewed the Chinook IPA today and did a little bit of modifying. I added .5oz of some extra citra hops I had laying around, everything else I did was by the book for the most part.

My question is, can I dry hop 2 different types of hops (chinook & citra) at the same time? If so, any thought on those two together?

You can certainly use two or more hops to dry hop.

I’m not a fan of citra, so no comment on them.

How much do you plan to use?

I was going to do .5oz of each when I transfer to secondary.

piney cat pee….enjoy :slight_smile:

I guess you had to drink piney cat pee to know what it taste like…thanks for your research. :lol:

The reviews on this beer are pretty amazing. I do see that one flavor that keeps coming up is pine but they all say its very small. I prefer to have more of a fruity aroma to it, thats why I want to add citra to the 1oz dry hop.

I’m now thinking .5oz chinook, 1.5 citra and 1oz amarillo. I’m not looking to get to crazy but one other review that is repeated is this is very light and almost not an ipa.

I dry hop with Citra frequently. .5 oz of each should be great!

[quote=“jbayer80”]I guess you had to drink piney cat pee to know what it taste like…thanks for your research. :lol:

I’m now thinking .5oz chinook, 1.5 citra and 1oz amarillo. [/quote]

I think you place pine cones in a litter box for a week. Make sure you use large ones, you don’t want to mix them up with smaller cat turds.

I’ve found that citra over powers other hops. Chinook and amarillo are pretty assertive, so that might work. I do like SN Torpedo, which uses citra and simcoe.

one of my favorite NB recipes is the chinook IPA.

one of my house beers is my own chinook ipa with citra dry hop.
(got the idea from the NB Breakwater recipe).

when I first started brewing with extract kits I made the chinook and breakwater often.
now I have all grain recipes for both, but have settled in a hybrid of the 2.

I am now drinking my most recent chinook ipa with 2 oz citra dry hop and it’s delicious.

I am brewing another batch of it now!

cheers!

[quote=“mrv”][quote=“jbayer80”]I guess you had to drink piney cat pee to know what it taste like…thanks for your research. :lol:

I think you place pine cones in a litter box for a week. Make sure you use large ones, you don’t want to mix them up with smaller cat turds.

I’ve found that citra over powers other hops. Chinook and amarillo are pretty assertive, so that might work. I do like SN Torpedo, which uses citra and simcoe.[/quote]

I agree that citra over powers other hops. I love citra, but if blended with other hops, I like to use about 1/2 as much as the other hop/hops. If you were to use say 1oz of citra and 1oz of cascade to dryhop, the citra would completely dominate the flavor. In a situation like that I’d use 1/2oz citra and either 1 or 1.5oz of cascade. And I write this as someone who LOVES citra. I get the cat pee smell when smelling the hops all by themselves, but get a great flavor/aroma in the finished beer. Ever have Zombie Dust? Freaking incredible!!!

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“mrv”][quote=“jbayer80”]I guess you had to drink piney cat pee to know what it taste like…thanks for your research. :lol:

I’ve found that citra over powers other hops. Chinook and amarillo are pretty assertive, so that might work. I do like SN Torpedo, which uses citra and simcoe.[/quote]

I agree that citra over powers other hops. I love citra, but if blended with other hops, I like to use about 1/2 as much as the other hop/hops. If you were to use say 1oz of citra and 1oz of cascade to dryhop, the citra would completely dominate the flavor. In a situation like that I’d use 1/2oz citra and either 1 or 1.5oz of cascade. And I write this as someone who LOVES citra. I get the cat pee smell when smelling the hops all by themselves, but get a great flavor/aroma in the finished beer. Ever have Zombie Dust? Freaking incredible!!![/quote]

I follow the same rule of thumb with Citra - I use about half as much as other hops in combination. I also never use it as a single hop - it’s just too monotone in flavor for me.

Ok, I had to come back and say that I keg’d the beer yesterday but couldnt help myself so i took a pull and you were right. Piney cat pee! Omg, I hope it gets better because I had to spit it out. lol.

[quote=“jbayer80”]
I’m now thinking .5oz chinook, 1.5 citra and 1oz amarillo. I’m not looking to get to crazy but one other review that is repeated is this is very light and almost not an ipa.[/quote]
Did you end up going with this ratio?

I think a quite a few homebrewers fail to account for different oil content levels in each hop variety when designing a recipe. Oil content is the main reason some hops overpower others when all other variables (amount, freshness, etc.) are equal. Citra is among the higher oil content hops, so I would use it with a light hand when blending. Well, for that reason and the fact that Citra contributes a distinctive flavor that I think needs to be used judiciously.

If I had to use Amarillo, Chinook and Citra together for some reason, I would have gone with: 2 oz, .5 oz. and .5 oz respectively. This is because of oil content and the flavor/aroma contribution of each hop.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com