Two Questions

Hello all. I have a couple of questions for you.

#1. What is your favorite cleaners or sanitizes and your methods of cleaning. My experience has been operating room cleanliness. I just don’t want to buy more than I need or will use.

#2. I am getting a Megapot with the stainless steel valve’ and a stainless steel valve for my mash tun. What size tubing do I need for the barbs?

Thanks in advance!

I use oxy clean for cleaning, and star san for sanitizing. Both work fine for me. I don’t know the size tubing but ask them for what you need when you buy the pot.

Star san for sanitizing. Cleaner depends on what is available - I use dish soap, a local equivalent to oxiclean, a dilute solution of white vinegar or lye depending on what I’m trying clean.

The barbs are probably fittings that you can choose what size you want. 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch are probably both available. I switched the fittings on my Polarware kettle from 3/8 to 1/2 a few years ago to get faster draining.

Star San for sanitizing, Oxy (fragrance free) for cleaning and Bar Keepers Friend (BKF) for cleaning up baked on crude, cleaning up any small rust spots and polishing the stainless to a back to new shine. Stay away from bleach on stainless!

The tubing size will relate to the size barb you purchase; 1/2" barb = 1/2" ID tube