Two Hearted Ale

Bell’s Two Hearted is my better half’s favorite in the whole wide. Anyone have a close recipe to narrow down my options, and get me in the ballpark?

Available Extract as well

LOL easy enough…thanks for pointin out what should have been obvious.

Cheers!! :cheers:

any thoughts about this not being hoppy enough for a 12lb beer? i’d think you’d at least need to have 4 oz of dry hop and 4 oz at the 5 min addition:

0.75 oz. Centennial (60 min)
1 oz. Centennial (20 min)
2 oz. Centennial (5 min)
DRY HOPS
1 oz. Centennial – add to secondary fermenter
one to two weeks before bottling day

[quote=“baileyjoe”]any thoughts about this not being hoppy enough for a 12lb beer? i’d think you’d at least need to have 4 oz of dry hop and 4 oz at the 5 min addition[/quote]Not sure what you mean by “a 12lb beer”, NB’s kit is for a 5 gallon batch. This is a solid recipe, I’m sure the OP’s wife would like it, he can always tweak it on future batches.

Dead ringer kit

[quote=“The Fhunt”]Bell’s Two Hearted is my better half’s favorite in the whole wide. Anyone have a close recipe to narrow down my options, and get me in the ballpark?[/quote]I keep mine on tap almost all the time and am told it is even better than Bell’s THA. Here it is for 20+ gallons:

Greg is the last hop addition at flame out or dry hop?

[quote=“sonex”]Greg is the last hop addition at flame out or dry hop?[/quote]in the notes I put dry hop but that’s 3 years ago. Now I do both.

so 4 oz at flame out and dry hop got it. I was going to brew your recipe and compare to mine. Mine and yours are both pretty close to each other.

I’ll check the current recipe and see if it differs and report back.

EDIT: Tweaked slightly over the years to end up with 7.0% abv and 54 IBU.

just for comparison on how close our recipes are heres mine.

batch size 12 gal
og 1.068
eff. 75%

grain bill

pale malt 80%
vienna 13%
crystal 4%
carapils 3%

hop sch.
cent 2 oz @60
cent 1 oz @30
cent 1 oz @20
cent 1 oz @15
cent 1 oz @5
cent 1 oz @1
cent 1oz @dry hop

I put a little more c-malt in mine, though I’ve never had Two Hearted Ale, they don’t sell it around here:

5.5 Gallons
12 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Caramunich
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 22.8 IBUs
8 oz Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 8.5 %
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 15.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 12.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.1 IBUs
1.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
1.00 oz Centennial [8.00 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

This was a brew I made for a buddy of mine’s birthday last year who likes IPAs, there were a lot of BMC drinkers who loved it, in fact a guy last night asked me if I still brew that kind of beer, I told him, “all the time”.

Greg, do you really get a FG of 1.02? That seems high.

[quote=“560sdl”]Greg, do you really get a FG of 1.02? That seems high.[/quote]Not really. That is the predicted FG. I’d say 1.014 is my normal FG. I’ve had t it happen where the abv comes close to 8%

Thanks for all the feed back…I’m thinking that this will be an awesome suprise when I break this one out. Hope I can keep it that way, she’s starting to show interst on brew days. :shock: A little bending of the truth might be in order.