Two beers: a Barleywine and?

I’m making a barleywine this weekend. I was doing a little reading and one of the websites recommended making two beers due to the amount of grain used in making the barleywine. It stated that because of the amount of grain being used there will be a lot of sugar left over that will not be drained with with the first runnings. Also causing a lower efficiency. They recommended collecting the wort from the first runnings for the barleywine, but then to collect a second running for a lower gravity beer.

Couple questions for those who have experience:

1. To do this, I would collect the first runnings for the barleywine. Once I’m up to the desired pre-boil gravity and volume I would begin boiling the wort for the barleywine. While this is happening I would go back and fill the mash tun with an additional volume of 170F water, let sit for 10-15 mins and then collect second runnings?

2. because of the type of grains being used for a barleywine, can anyone suggest another beer for the second runnings? I may just play around, but if anyone has a good idea I’d be interested. Below is the grist bill:

Grist Bill:
19.3lbs Crisp English Pale Ale Malt
8.8oz Franco-Belges caramel Munich Malt (60L)
8.8oz Great Western Crystal Malt (120L)

What OG and volume are you shooting for in the BW?

Barleywine and a Pale Ale or Bitter. Those are the most logical options in my opinion. If you wanted you can also top off with some addition grain for the second runnings for some flavor and more color. Whatever you do I would have a few pounds of DME laying around just in case you miss out your target gravity on either the big or small beers.

Denny’s Old Stoner is a good Barleywine for doing this. Just had one that is roughly a year old last night and it was pretty damn tasty.

My son-in-law and I are thinking of doing this too, so it’ll be interseting to see the responses. However, we were thinking of doing two seperate 5 gallon brews, combineing the first runnings of each for the barley wine, then doing two different brews with the second runnings. Does this sound possible? And any suggestions for a recipe?

Looking for an OG of 1.100 in a 5 gallon batch. :cheers:

[quote=“inhousebrew”]Barleywine and a Pale Ale or Bitter. Those are the most logical options in my opinion. If you wanted you can also top off with some addition grain for the second runnings for some flavor and more color. Whatever you do I would have a few pounds of DME laying around just in case you miss out your target gravity on either the big or small beers.

Denny’s Old Stoner is a good Barleywine for doing this. Just had one that is roughly a year old last night and it was pretty damn tasty.[/quote]

Thanks inhousebrew, I was thinking along these same lines. Probably going to go with a pale ale.

[quote=“lmarkis”]Looking for an OG of 1.100 in a 5 gallon batch. :cheers: [/quote]With ~20 lbs of grain at 60% efficiency for first runnings, seven gallons of wort into the kettle, you’ll be on target for 1.100 in the fermenter. You would then have about 2.5 gallons of 1.070 wort in the grain in the MT, so you have 175 points to play with. Sparge with six gallons and you’ll end up with six gallons of 1.020 wort in the second kettle, for instance, which might be OK, but you could add 3-5 lbs of fresh grain, do a short mash, and make a pale ale.

Is your MT big enough to hold 20 lbs of grain plus 9.5 gallons of water at one time?

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“lmarkis”]Looking for an OG of 1.100 in a 5 gallon batch. :cheers: [/quote]With ~20 lbs of grain at 60% efficiency for first runnings, seven gallons of wort into the kettle, you’ll be on target for 1.100 in the fermenter. You would then have about 2.5 gallons of 1.070 wort in the grain in the MT, so you have 175 points to play with. Sparge with six gallons and you’ll end up with six gallons of 1.020 wort in the second kettle, for instance, which might be OK, but you could add 3-5 lbs of fresh grain, do a short mash, and make a pale ale.

Is your MT big enough to hold 20 lbs of grain plus 9.5 gallons of water at one time?[/quote]

I have a 10 gal igloo, if I go by the standard 1.5 quarts per 1lb grain, I would be at 7.5 gallons for my mash which I usually add an additional gallon due to my set up, so 8.5 gallons. Should work well…I think :shock:

Thoughts?

[quote=“lmarkis”][quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“lmarkis”]Looking for an OG of 1.100 in a 5 gallon batch. :cheers: [/quote]With ~20 lbs of grain at 60% efficiency for first runnings, seven gallons of wort into the kettle, you’ll be on target for 1.100 in the fermenter. You would then have about 2.5 gallons of 1.070 wort in the grain in the MT, so you have 175 points to play with. Sparge with six gallons and you’ll end up with six gallons of 1.020 wort in the second kettle, for instance, which might be OK, but you could add 3-5 lbs of fresh grain, do a short mash, and make a pale ale.

Is your MT big enough to hold 20 lbs of grain plus 9.5 gallons of water at one time?[/quote]

I have a 10 gal igloo, if I go by the standard 1.5 quarts per 1lb grain, I would be at 7.5 gallons for my mash which I usually add an additional gallon due to my set up, so 8.5 gallons. Should work well…I think :shock:

Thoughts?[/quote]

Don’t forget about the volume of the grains. 1.5q/lb with 20lbs of grain is more like 9.1 gallons. Sounds like it’ll work, but be pretty tight especially if you need to add the extra gallon.

[quote=“lmarkis”]Thoughts?[/quote]Unless you can hold all the water and the grain in the MT you’re going to have to sparge to reach your desired kettle volume, so you won’t be doing a “true” parti-gyle in which only first runnings are used for the big beer (a no-sparge routine) but your efficiency will go up a little and it’ll balance out in the end.