Twist Off Bottling

Hi, All.
I’m sorry if this has been covered before, but I can’t find the answer.
When bottling, is it possible to reuse old twist off bottles (ex: Leinie’s bottles) and apply bottle caps with the standard Red Baron capper and regular bulk caps?
Does that work or do they have to be standard bottles that require a bottle opener?

Not recommended…you really can’t get an effective seal. Also, the glass is of lesser quality and the capper could actually break the glass.

You can use twist-offs with the Red Baron capper if the neck/collar shape is the same as normal pry-tops so the capper has something to grab onto.

But very likely to have problems getting it to make a tight seal as the lip of the bottle is so thin and not a lot of surface area. The other failure is that the neck will crack right when you are crimping the cap on.

In my experience something happens to about 1 out of every 10. I have about a case of twist-off Bud Light bottles that I’m going to use, a little on each batch, and that way when I give away beers people will get the twist-offs and I won’t be as sad when I don’t get them back

So they’re not optimal, but they will work. I wouldn’t bottle a whole batch in twist-offs.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up for me.