Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Twice as much trub as usual

Last night was just one of those nights. Monster Mill trouble to begin with and then after chilling my batch, I noticed quite a bit more trub then normal. Everything else seem to be fine but it was a little more than I expected. My chilling method is a pre chiller which is coils submerged in an ice bucket which then feeds to double coil Chillers in the wort. I also do not use hop bags. I found that I really don’t like those and I could tell the difference in the beer between just dropping in my hops and using the bags.

Brent

I have given up on agonizing over Trub. I boil, add pellet hops to the boil, chill, do the best I can on swirl. It all ends up settled at the bottom of my 6.5 gallon glass carboys (10 gallon batch). After 2 weeks I transfer to a wide mouth 5 gallon Carboy and add leaf hops (in a bag). After secondary I rack to a spare sanitized keg then filter to 2nd sanitized keg using 1 micron filter flooding tanks with CO2 first. Many do not bother with filtering and rely on Cold Condition for final filtering.
Takes longer but works just as well.

2 Likes

I usually don’t get too worried about trub. I cold crash once primary is complete, then hit it with gelatin if it doesn’t look as clear as I want, then keg.

I’ve been using Cascade cones as of late… My old BIA Basket (roughly 5 gallon bucket size) is what I use with any kind of hops in the BK… After primary fermenting is done, I’m not afraid to dump pellets into the fermenter, even cones… I like to let the brew sit at room temp for a few days… Heck, I’ve even let it sit a week… I’ll then cold crash the fermenter… Time to rack into a keg, hoppy styles will get some hops in a bag, and again, let it sit at room temp a few more days… One thing I’ve noticed with, cones in a bag, in the keg, and some weight ( I feel a Dr. Seuss moment right there) that my brews clear up very nicely after a few pints… Maybe be a standard procedure for me… Perhaps… Sneezles61

I was wondering if I should take the coils out after temp has been reached and give it some really good swirls and let it settle for a half hour. Maybe I would get a more defined separation at the bottom.

Giving it a good whirlpool after chilling and allowing it to settle will definitely give you a more defined layer. A little trub is good for yeast health and at our size is negligible.

1 Like

I’m definitely going to start doing that from now on.

Brent

Same here. I use hop bags only for dry hopping in the keg.
For massively hoppy beers I do rack with a large sanitized hop bag affixed to the outlet tubing. (I had racked a number of times with the bag on the inlet side directly around the auto siphon, trying to keep hop debris out of the siphon/tubing also, but eventually had an episode where the process led to an oxidized IPA. Live and learn)

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com